Find the answer to your Linux question:
In a rushed attempt to save my failing hard drive, i decided to use ddrescue without fully understanding the instructions. The failing hard drive is a 40 GB (/dev/sdc). My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ddrescue overwrote destination drive. i'm now in dddespair

In a rushed attempt to save my failing hard drive, i decided to use ddrescue without fully understanding the instructions.
    The failing hard drive is a 40 GB (/dev/sdc).
    My plan was to write the recovered data to my misc. 500 GB drive (/dev/sdb).

In my noobishness, i typed
    ddrescue -n /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb1
    not realizing that would overwrite the entire 500 GB drive with a 40 GB partition instead of creating an image like i planned.

I grabbed the recovered data that i needed, but now is there a way to get the old 500 GB partition back?
    thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can try running TestDisk on it to see what happens. Look for TestDisk on the PartedMagic LiveCD.

Good luck with your recovery efforts.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi

Did you recover any data? I have the same problem and I'm looking for a solution.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by orailean View Post
    Did you recover any data? I have the same problem and I'm looking for a solution.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

This thread is 16 months old, so you really need to start a new thread of your own detailing any problems that you are having. If it's the same problem that the OP for this thread had, you too should try TestDisk.

Closing old thread...
    oz