Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using Schilly's cdrecord. I'm unable to burn cds with cdrecord. The scanbus details are as follows: Code: [saivin@SV-V1400 ~]$ cdrecord -scanbus Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a60 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2009 J�rg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to burn cd with cdrecord

Hi,
    I'm using Schilly's cdrecord. I'm unable to burn cds with cdrecord. The scanbus details are as follows:
    Code:
    [saivin@SV-V1400 ~]$ cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a60 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2009 J�rg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
    scsibus0:
    	0,0,0	  0) 'ATA     ' 'SAMSUNG HM160HI ' 'HH10' Disk
    	0,1,0	  1) *
    	0,2,0	  2) *
    	0,3,0	  3) *
    	0,4,0	  4) *
    	0,5,0	  5) *
    	0,6,0	  6) *
    	0,7,0	  7) *
    scsibus3:
    	3,0,0	300) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD+-RW GSA-T21N' 'A102' Removable CD-ROM
    	3,1,0	301) *
    	3,2,0	302) *
    	3,3,0	303) *
    	3,4,0	304) *
    	3,5,0	305) *
    	3,6,0	306) *
    	3,7,0	307) *
    When I try to burn cd with the following command I get error as:
    Code:
    [saivin@SV-V1400 ~]$ cdrecord -v -eject dev=ATA:3,0,0 Downloads/install-x86-minimal-20090602.iso
    cdrecord: No write mode specified.
    cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
    cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
    cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a60 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2009 J�rg Schilling
    TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    scsidev: 'ATA:3,0,0'
    devname: 'ATA'
    scsibus: 3 target: 0 lun: 0
    Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
    cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
    cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
    cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    Removing ATA from dev= argument starts burning but exits with error wasting that cd I tried replacing ATA with ATAPI and sg. No luck. Read Schilly's manpage but it did not help in identifying the problem. What may be the problem?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

It's possible that your drive is bottling out because it is using the maximum speed of the drive, this is a fault of the drive itself and not the software. If this is the case you can try providing speed= to cdrecord in order to set the speed; If you have a 48x drive try 40x (which would be speed=40), and so forth.

Hi Krendo,
    Thanks for the reply. Just came to update...

One of the good guys over net suggested that I try /dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1 (as the case may be). I don't know the logic but when I replaced ATA,x,x in the above command with /dev/sr0 it worked fine. So, technically my problem is solved.

But I still have a query. When I did 'dmesg | grep sr' I am getting the following output. It is either an error or something that needs attention. Can you make out what it is? What I need to do?
    Code:
    [saivin@SV-V1400 ~]$ dmesg | grep sr
     sda:<4>Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0

If your device is sr0 then that is the correct device to use, I can only surmise that your device is a SCSI CD-ROM and not an ATAPI one. Either that or you're using an old kernel from before the time we had to use ide-cd rather than ide-scsi. Personally, however, I don't remember my devices being given the device name sr* even back when I was using a 2.4 kernel. Maybe I just don't remember it well.

As for your error I'm afraid that it's suggestive of either a drive or medium failure. It could be as simple as a bad disc, or perhaps a bad cable, or at worst a bad drive. Check each one of them, and also try that speed tip that I gave you.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    If your device is sr0 then that is the correct device to use, I can only surmise that your device is a SCSI CD-ROM and not an ATAPI one. Either that or you're using an old kernel from before the time we had to use ide-cd rather than ide-scsi. Personally, however, I don't remember my devices being given the device name sr* even back when I was using a 2.4 kernel. Maybe I just don't remember it well.
    I'm on Arch with 2.6.29...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    As for your error I'm afraid that it's suggestive of either a drive or medium failure. It could be as simple as a bad disc, or perhaps a bad cable, or at worst a bad drive. Check each one of them, and also try that speed tip that I gave you.
    Wilco... But if it turns out to be a bad cable or drive I'm afraid I'm not in a position to spend money over them. Hardly a year old. Dell........ >

Linux Guru
    Just like the updates to the PATA code that make all IDE HDD's sdX instead of the previous hdX, all recorders are now /dev/srX.

Dmesg lists the output of /var/log/messages without time stamps. You need to look at the messages log and compare the timestamps with *what was going on* at the time the error occurred. If these errors happened in the past when your syntax for cdrecord was a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.