Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been working on this for a while and have decided to seek the help of my linux community. I am a graduate student trying to update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problems Running Older Imaging Software

Hello all,

I have been working on this for a while and have decided to seek the help of my linux community. I am a graduate student trying to update the computers in my lab that are currently used to run microscopy imaging software called 'softworx'. This software is not open source but is required for reading and processing many of the information that comes from my microscope. The problem comes in that it was originally packaged as a set of rpm's for RedHat Linux (circa 2001). It currently works fine on RHEL3 but the slow and outdated computer needs to be replaced and I was hoping to run Ubuntu (I have had other installs of Ubuntu for the last couple years on my other computers and find it very appealing). I have tried installing these rpm's (after converting to deb's with alien) and the program starts up but has several major problems, most appearing to involve rendering the gui windows.

when first launching the application I get this error:
    Code:
    Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider
    re-linking
    Monitor: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object,
    consider re-linking
    later when opening the filesystem navigation function:
    Code:
    Warning:
        Name: dirname
        Class: XmComboBox
        XmComboBoxSetItem is not yet implemented!
    and attempting to open another gui window
    Code:
    Warning:
        Name: List
        Class: XmList
        Parent refused resize request. Second XtMakeGeometryRequest() failed
    any help in shedding some light on these errors would be appreciated, thanks.

I am trying to install this on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. The software is called SoftWoRx and is produced by a group called Applied Precision,Inc. They do offer a new version, but it is for Windows only and does not include many of the functions as the one we purchased. The software was actually incredibly expensive but is currently being hampered by the fact that I can't get it to run properly on a modern OS.

I am sorry ciclistadan. When I answered your post earlier, I reread your post and realized how silly my reply was so I deleted my reply to keep from sounding stupid.

Do you have acess to the Windows XP version of the exe. File that works in Windows XP? That way you might try using WINE to get that SoftWoRx to operate.

I have never used alien to convert a rpm package to a deb. package in Ubuntu because it can be iffy at best. Wine can also be iffy at times also. I am also not familiar with the image software you are trying to use. So the best I can suggest is THIS and THIS

I hope one of the more knowledgeable members on this forum will see your thread and decipher your error messages for you. I am sorry I can't be of more help with your issue.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Found a few bug reports for
    XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider
    re-linking
    _XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking - Google Search
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This sort of "support" for expensive proprietary software is one reason why open source is getting so popular these days. Unfortunately, your only real recourse is to install RHEL 3 on a virtual machine, and run the software that way. You can run Ubuntu, or a newer version of RHEL (or CentOS), and install a virtual machine manager such as VMware or VirtualBox to host the old RHEL 3 system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

a virtual machine is pretty much the best solution I could think of too, was just hoping I overlooked something simple

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A VM has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!