Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi - I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2, Amarok 1.4.9.1. I foolishly selected Random Playlist in the left hand pane, and the damn thing has been spinning for days. It is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Amarok very slow...

Hi -

I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2, Amarok 1.4.9.1. I foolishly selected Random Playlist in the left hand pane, and the damn thing has been spinning for days. It is slowing down my entire system, and i can't find a way to cancel it. I have tried shutting Amarok down - restarting my system etc etc - but when i start Amarok again, it starts building the (evidently incredibly long) list. I would just like to cancel the request. Any ideas?

Thanks for any info!
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

I guess if you can't get into Amarok to remove that option, you could always remove the config files and start from scratch. It's not ideal, especially if you have a big collection and have already fetched album art for it. I did have a look through the config files and couldn't find anything around the random playlist option unfortunately, but that's not to say it isn't there

I think all of the files you're looking for should be within ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config , anything starting with "amarok".

Thanks

Thanks for the reply bigtom - I looked in the suggested folders - found nothing. I believe the task finally finnished, which begs the question, should one even touch the collection tools in amarok against a very large collection? What i did seemed innocent enough, but the results were a royal pain.

I may look for a simpler player. My Linux playtime is not to be spent trying to play some music.

Thanks again - not solved but resolved.

circa 2006

Sorry I couldn't have been more help twoHats. I just thought I'd mention though, my music collection is ~90GB, comprising ~17000 tracks and I've never had any trouble like that. Just wanted to say it didn't seem like expected behaviour so it may be worth a bug report to the Amarok devs if you have the time.

Thanks!

Hey bigtom - thanks for your time! I will submit a bug report. Meanwhile have switched to Minirok, which for my needs may be better. I have already set my music up in folders etc, so don't really need the collection capability of Amarok, which is exactly the idea of Minirok.

Thanks again

circa 2006