Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I just installed an upgrade to XMMS to support MP3's. At any rate, when im in a console and I use the 'su' command and launch xmms (xmms ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS launching different versions as root and local

Hey all,

I just installed an upgrade to XMMS to support MP3's. At any rate, when im in a console and I use the 'su' command and launch xmms (xmms &), it launches the updated version that will play MP3's. However, when i'm logged in as a regular user and i try launching xmms, it launches my old version that doesn't support mp3's. I've even tried running the same command as each user (/usr/share/xmms &) and in root it works, but as a local user its still launching a different version.

Right now i'm running XMMS 1.2.10 and trying to get xmms-mp3 lib thing to work. I'm running RH9, and I installed the update using the rpm manager thingy. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

tdk2fe

Linux Guru
    First as user, then as root, type

Code:
    which xmms
    The results should be the same, but probably are not. I imagine that the updated xmms is executed in path that is not available to a regular user. Probably the best thing to do would be to create a symbolic link from the users path to the updated version. cd into the users xmms directory (from the which command above), rename the old one something xmms-version-number using mv, then create the link using ln -s /path/to/roots/xmms

Hope that makes sense,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I tried that as well, but they both point to /usr/bin/xmms. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help, by the way.

tdk2fe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    hmmmm.... Interesting (**jeremy1701 scratches his head**)

Okay, from the command line try running xmms -v as both root and user. Do they both say the same thing? What happens if you run xmms as a third user (maybe create a new user and try it). One more thing... try moving your entire ~/.xmms directory (cp -r .xmmx .xmms.bak; rm -rf .xmms) to something like ~/.xmms.bak (don't worry, xmms will reate a new one and you can simply delete it and copy the other back)

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude