Find the answer to your Linux question:
Text to Speech in applications I have installed “Text to Speech” on my machine. I have tested it in “Terminal” and it works fine from there. Where I am stuck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Text to Speech in applications

Text to Speech in applications

I have installed “Text to Speech” on my machine. I have tested it in “Terminal” and it works fine from there. Where I am stuck is how do I activate it in say a browser or open office.

Any clues accepted

Cheers
    Majestic

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good question. I know that some GUI applications work with the text-to-speech system, others don't. You need to do some Googling on the subject I think. I have enabled the KDE Text-To-Speech system on my CentOS workstation, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I think I need to restart the system, so it will have to wait until later. I'll let you know what I find. BTW, what Linux distribution+version and desktop are you using?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. I got it to work. Now, I will try it with Open Office.

Well, with the KDE tts system running, you can copy text to the clipboard and play it easily enough. It will also output some popups. However, to get the most out of OpenOffice text-to-speech, you need to be running the Gnome desktop. Right now, that's about as far as I can go.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman

I've been away for a couple of days sorry for the late reply

I'm using ubuntu and have installed festival. It works fine from terminal But I'm missing something really silly i think. I kinda expected that i might see a tag in an application that says "speech" of somthing.

I'll have another crack at it tomorrow and post if I find something.

Cheers
    Majestic