Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am trying to install snmpd on a linux based board. I have successfully cross compiled snmp for my target(MIPS) from a Host machine. Now i wanted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing SNMP on to a Board

Hi all,

I am trying to install snmpd on a linux based board. I have successfully cross compiled snmp for my target(MIPS) from a Host machine. Now i wanted to install snmpd on to the MIPS board. MIPS board has already got linux running on it.

I was successful in bringing up iptables on to the board. This is how i did. I have cross compiled iptables and made an executable for my target. I have mounted the Root File system of the Linux (Running on Board) in my Host machine and copied the iptables executables into the bin directory. Then unmounted the Root File system and then flashed the new file system to board. Now i get iptables working on my board. But This does not work for snmpd.

I get snmp command after doing this(This was not their earlier). But on executing snmpd it says "not found". I think copying snmpd executable alone is not enough. What else i should do? Please throw some light on this...

Thanks
    Jack

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you created the file /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf on the target system? Refer to the snmpd.conf man page for information.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    When i download bin folder, sbin folder and lib folder the problem is not der.. i am able to execute snmpd. But the size of these three folders are very high that i am not able to flash anything else on my board. The size of lib folder is very high. How can i reduce the size of lib folder? The flash i have is only 4MB. Please give me a solution to reduce the size of snmp lib folder?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is where a compressed file system is in order. Also, make sure you build all your libraries fully size-optimized (vs speed optimized) and strip out the symbols. That should reduce the size considerably. My guess is that at 4MB, you need to use a compressed file system as well. Since I have never used one, I cannot personally tell you how to set that up, but I'm sure someone here can do so.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!