Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Am I the only one having problems getting my instant messenger programs to connect to yahoo? Gyachi will connect but I can't send messages out... they aren't received by the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Instant Messenger

Am I the only one having problems getting my instant messenger programs to connect to yahoo? Gyachi will connect but I can't send messages out... they aren't received by the people I send it to. Pidgin and Kopete both won't connect at all, they just keep trying and trying. I'm reduced to using meebo... and even that's not working perfectly. Anyone know if this is just me or if something's actually up?

Is the network you're using firewalled? I know here at work we have to change the port number on all messaging apps because the defaults are blocked. We generally tell our messengers to use port 23, since it's rarely blocked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Is the network you're using firewalled? I know here at work we have to change the port number on all messaging apps because the defaults are blocked. We generally tell our messengers to use port 23, since it's rarely blocked.
    No firewall I believe. The messengers worked fine through yesterday morning, and then they stopped.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by noxmagnus View Post
    No firewall I believe. The messengers worked fine through yesterday morning, and then they stopped.
    still can't get it to work

I just read an article about pidgin not connecting to yahoo. There's a couple of workarounds.

1. Upgrade to the karmic koala pidgin package.
    How to: Fix Yahoo Problem in Pidgin - Step-by-step tutorial with screenshots - Softpedia

2. Change the page server to either cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com or cs101.msg.mud.yahoo.com. The websites differ on the server address here. Maybe both work?
    How to Fix Pidgin and Yahoo Issues bigbrovar

EDIT: For some reason I thought I saw you were using Ubuntu. I assume changing the Page Server address should work in any distro.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I just read an article about pidgin not connecting to yahoo. There's a couple of workarounds.

1. Upgrade to the karmic koala pidgin package.
    How to: Fix Yahoo Problem in Pidgin - Step-by-step tutorial with screenshots - Softpedia

2. Change the page server to either cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com or cs101.msg.mud.yahoo.com. The websites differ on the server address here. Maybe both work?
    How to Fix Pidgin and Yahoo Issues bigbrovar

EDIT: For some reason I thought I saw you were using Ubuntu. I assume changing the Page Server address should work in any distro.
    I use Fedora, but I'll have to try those workarounds and see. kinda sounds like they might work.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Pidgin 2.5.7 was released to fix the problems with Yahoo, so it maybe in the software repos soon.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com or cs101.msg.mud.yahoo.com. The websites differ on the server address here. Maybe both work?.
    I finally just tried it, the first one, cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com, works, the second one doesn't, at least for me. I also tried it with Gyachi, and the fix works there to.

Here's a little bit more on what the problem is/was: Pidgin and Kopete Back to Chatting with Yahoo! Again - Linux Magazine Online

Basically, yahoo changed their authentication method. It looks like the fix I posted changes the server address to one's using the old authentication method still, but I would assume that won't last too long as yahoo switched all of their servers over. As mentioned the new pidgin 2.5.7 has fixed the problem. Kopete is working on fixing it, hopefully before the KDE 4.3 release.

Just Joined!
    So does anyone know when pidgin 2.5.7 will be coming through the updates that come for Fedora?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast