Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: So, what do you love more?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • OpenOffice.org

14 87.50%
  • KOffice

2 12.50%
  • Something else? (tell us what)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Libervisco However, me too likes OOo very much, it's only that it's soo slow on my Lignux MDK10CE that i sometimes can't stand it. Eternity before it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Libervisco
    However, me too likes OOo very much, it's only that it's soo slow on my Lignux MDK10CE that i sometimes can't stand it. Eternity before it loads and than it tickles all the time..
    Lignux, eh? That's a new one for me. Also.. umm.. your OpenOffice tickles you? BAD OpenOffice, no treat for you. I'm confused.

Why is that? Is my ****** 750Mhz AMD Duron machine just too weak for it or it's because i use MDK Community instead of Official?

Thanks
    Daniel
    OpenOffice generally takes me a while to load up, even on a fast system, but then.. what is "long" for you? How much RAM do you have? Any number of things could be contributing to the slow startup time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yeah.. Lignux is a compromise between using the term Linux and GNU/Linux (rightfully propagated by RMS) and i don't know why, it just came to me to write it like that in that post.

Lignux is pronounced the same as linux but attributes the GNU without which there would no be linux as we know it.

OpenOffice generally takes me a while to load up, even on a fast system, but then.. what is "long" for you? How much RAM do you have? Any number of things could be contributing to the slow startup time.
    Well, it takes more than a minute definitely.. it's long and it slows the whole system, especially when i have almost 10 tabs opened in Firefox or any other program.
    I have 160+32 MB RAM (32 for onboard graphic chip), so it counts 160MB..

I guess i couldn't do much there, i gotta get a new comp anyway.., and a newest OFFICIAL MDK

Thanks
    Daniel

Linux Guru
    As I've recently learned, you can seriously increase your disks access time using hdparm:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...29/hdparm.html

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wow.. thank you.. i just looked at it and tried it in konsole and it actually does increases the timing buffer-cache response time. However, the timing biffer disk is the same if not lower than originally, now, generally looking it overall seems better..

Here's what i got with it:

Code:
     Timing buffer-cache reads:   424 MB in  2.01 seconds = 211.19 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:   64 MB in  3.05 seconds =  20.98 MB/sec
    Anyway, i'll play with that and then check everything and make it load like that. It might help bring the performance a bit up.

Thanks
    Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2