Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: So, what do you love more?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • OpenOffice.org

14 87.50%
  • KOffice

2 12.50%
  • Something else? (tell us what)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'd like to know your thoughts on which is better to you, which do you use and what are your experiences with OpenOffice.org and KOffice? When i was on windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenOffice.org vs. KOffice

I'd like to know your thoughts on which is better to you, which do you use and what are your experiences with OpenOffice.org and KOffice?

When i was on windows (just about month ago) i used OpenOffice.org and it was great and i was satisfied. However, now i use Mandrake 10 Community and it runs pretty slow, i'd say really too slow. And while i am aware that community edition is just like a preview or beta so it might not be the top thing and it might cause troubles and performance issues i found that KOffice on the other hand runs so much faster, better and smoother.

So, my current pick is KOffice. And i like it's looks better than OOo. But it also seems to have more components, now adding even more.

Thank you
    Daniel

Linux Engineer
    i picked open office because i don't really like KDE all that much...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    well koffice sucks.

open office is freaking awesome.

There is no compatibility issues with anything between openoffice and microsoftoffice so everything is perfect for uni etc.
    /skythra

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OpenOffice.org here too.

It astounds me that an open source project can be as powerful and feature rich as OOo is. There is no MS Word 6.0/97/2000/xp file that I have had trouble opening.

And if you download the 1.1.1 version with the crystal icons (from ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/packages/ooffice then it looks good too (shame they havenít released a 1.1.3 version with crystal icons)
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Guru
    OpenOffice for sure. It's by far one of the best open source applications I've ever seen, right up there with Firefox. I'm not saying KOffice isn't good, it's just not as cool as oo. One nice thing about KOffice is that it sure loads a lot faster

I agree that I've never had compatiblity issues with MS, except with macros. Once the oo team perfects VBA, I think it'll beat out MS for sure! Then the lawsuits will start poping up by the masses, after all... It seems to be the only way MS can remain the monopoly (certainly not by fair competetion!).

Nice poll,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

OpenOffice for me. I try to stick to DE-agnostic apps whenever possible, since I switch desktop environments and window managers daily.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    OpenOffice.org here also.

I really like OO. I tried KOffice a while ago and found it to be okay but i really liked OO much better. OO seemed to have more features than KOffice. I will give KOffice another look though.

I would have to say OO.o just because i have used it alot more and the fact that its so compatable with ms office which makes it nice for doing work at home and then bringing it to school or something it is just really convient
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    I'd have to agree that OOo is really convenient for doing work at home at then printing it out at school, although I always have to export to pdf. While I have no trouble opening windows made docs, I have trouble opening OOo .doc s on MS Office, the formatting is always off,

sheesh, maybe something petty by ms, or probably my own stupid mistakes, :o

Just Joined!
    Heh.. 100% OpenOffice.org.. well, the picture is clear as crystal.

It actually seems like i am the only one here who actually "implied" that i like KOffice more, but the truth is that i havent's really tried it much yet. I just noticed how fast it loads and nice it looks and though that, well, it must be better for linux based usage.

However, me too likes OOo very much, it's only that it's soo slow on my Lignux MDK10CE that i sometimes can't stand it. Eternity before it loads and than it tickles all the time..

Why is that? Is my ****** 750Mhz AMD Duron machine just too weak for it or it's because i use MDK Community instead of Official?

Thanks
    Daniel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast