Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i recently found out about ksplice which lets you perform updates without a reboot i tried to install it but i dont know how to use it i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help using ksplice!

hello i recently found out about ksplice which lets you perform updates without a reboot

i tried to install it but i dont know how to use it

i am pretty sure i installed it correctly
    i installed it through the terminal by typing sudo apt-get install ksplice and everything went well (it shows up in the synamptc package manager as installed)

the problem is i dont know how to update using ksplice
    there isnt anything in the ubuntu menu about ksplice and it doesnt show up in the panel either
    i checked on their website and it says you can insert a command to upgrade but this is what i get

sudo uptrack-upgrade
    sudo: uptrack-upgrade: command not found
    uptrack-upgrade
    bash: uptrack-upgrade: command not found

i know there are updates availabe for my system since i checked using the regular ubuntu update manager
    i cannot reboot since i am using a live cd and i desperately need to upgrade to the latest kernel

can you guys help me use it i really need this
    thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've heard/read about it, but haven't tried it yet, though I am considering it. Supposedly it will update your system kernel and such without needing to reboot the system itself. In fact, in current Linux systems, the package managers such as yum or syaptics will update just about everything except the kernel without rebooting the system. Sorry, but that's all I know.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Looks interesting, but I don't mind rebooting so won't be using it . The instructions here don't mention apt-get

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Looks interesting, but I don't mind rebooting so won't be using it . The instructions here don't mention apt-get
    Synaptics, afaik, is a front end to apt-get.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!