Find the answer to your Linux question:
Any recomendations for bibliographic management utilities in Linux? There one called Endnote which runs only in Windows and is quite expensive. I'd like to find something similar in Linux. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Bibliographic applications?

Any recomendations for bibliographic management utilities in Linux? There one called Endnote which runs only in Windows and is quite expensive. I'd like to find something similar in Linux. I found Zotero which is a Firefox extention which might be OK, not convinced yet. But just wondered if anyones used anything else I should consider? I need to manage a large amount of bibliographic and citation data
    ~Thanks

You might want to try bibus

Bibus bibliographic database - Bibus

which has been very good to me...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find a few potential options here:

bibliography | Linux App Finder
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know specificially since I haven't had this need (yet). Here is one that might help: bibliographic: Bibliographic Project Homepage
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by daacosta View Post
    You might want to try bibus

Bibus bibliographic database - Bibus

which has been very good to me...
    What type of data have you used it for, if you dont mind me asking?
    Thanks
    MIke

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I don't know specificially since I haven't had this need (yet). Here is one that might help: bibliographic: Bibliographic Project Homepage
    OK that sounds interesting too! And the Linux app finder also.
    Keep the ideas coming!
    Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The nice thing about open source is that usually someone has somewhere done something like what you are looking for! I know that the OpenOffice Bibliographic project hasn't got very far, yet. But the fact that it is part of the OpenOffice project makes me think it has some potential. They also reference Zotero and other sources leads me to think that this might be a viable approach, over time.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    What type of data have you used it for, if you dont mind me asking?
    Thanks
    MIke
    Mostly, I have used bibus to work on Word and OpenOffice documents and have consistently been able to manage my bibliographic references. I wrote my PhD thesis using that piece of software with OpenOffice and a couple of papers... A coworker during my PhD days used it with Word and it worked fine...

I dare to say, other than Zotero, none of the options I have explored are as good as bibus...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The nice thing about open source is that usually someone has somewhere done something like what you are looking for! I know that the OpenOffice Bibliographic project hasn't got very far, yet. But the fact that it is part of the OpenOffice project makes me think it has some potential. They also reference Zotero and other sources leads me to think that this might be a viable approach, over time.
    I have watched that project for the past five years and nothing functional has been released thus far... Hope it works someday but for now Zotero and bibus are excellent tools...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

It's a bit specific, but if you're writing a document in LaTeX, BibTeX is a great way to do your bibliography. You create your database, and then use a style file (it comes with some simple ones, and virtually every journal also provides their own) to actually generate the bibliography.

Even if you're not using LaTeX, you could theoretically create a file for the sole purpose of doing bibliographies, and then compile with pdflatex and copy the text out of the PDF. But this may be overkill.