Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I like installing softwares from source. But now am wondering how to keep them upto date? i.e. how do we upgrade a self compiled software? For ex., I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrading self-compiled softwares

Hi,
    I like installing softwares from source. But now am wondering how to keep them upto date? i.e. how do we upgrade a self compiled software? For ex., I have installed 'irssi' from source. If a new version is released, how do I know it (seriously, I want to know if there are any tools that track such changes, apart from physically checking their site for changes ) and how do I upgrade to the latest version? Is it repeating 'download-configure-make-make install' stuff? or incremental changes possible?

Tried google but didnot help. Even links to proper info would do.

P.S.: Before you may complain, I'm not trying this on a production system. Its just for learning.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    This problem is covered in the lfs manual, however since I am a new user I cannot post the link so you will have to go to the linux from scratch homepage and look in chapter 6 under the section called package management. That should give you some ideas on how this can be accomplished.

YOu need to read the howtos for whatever software you are wanting to upgrade. You might need to make uninstall before you download/install the newer version, again, read the howto's, README and INSTALL files.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmm, so you are saying RTFM. The answer lies there itself in READMEs, INSTALLs...

Will go through LFS book again. (Had come till 5th chapter and during compiling one of the programs came to know that x86_64 is not yet natively supported and that CLFS may be of some help )

Thanks will get back if I got some doubts...
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076