Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I'm a newbie, although I'm starting to know a bit. Just can say that I love Linux. Thing is, I'm running a webserver, which hosts several sites and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup program that supports tapedrive...

Hi.

I'm a newbie, although I'm starting to know a bit. Just can say that I love Linux.

Thing is, I'm running a webserver, which hosts several sites and a few phpBB boards. I've been taking backup manually so far by downloading the files. Now, I have a Tandberg tapedrive which I could use to take automatic backups once a day or so, but I don't know which application that is suited for this purpose.

I need some tips, and a good guide on how to install/configurate the application.

Linux Guru
    You know, UNIX was initially distributed on tapes, so there's no lack for tape support in any UNIX compatible OS. There are countless tape backup solutions for Linux. First, there is the dump program that will dump an entire filesystem to tape. If you don't like that (which I guess you don't), try tar and gzip to output the files to a tape. tar does stand for tape archive, but it has come to be the standard archiving tool overall.
    Basically, just do this:
    Code:
    tar filespec | gzip -9 >/dev/st0
    Replace filespec with the files to back up, and /dev/st0 with your actual tape device.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answear.

I've been using the dump command before, and no - I didn't like it.
    Thing is that I don't want to use the 'tar filespec | gzip -9 >/dev/st0' either, cause I would like this to be administrated from an application. I could always put this into chrontab, yes, but I would want an easier-to-use interface. A graphical program for use in KDE could also be used.

Anyone?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    I would want an easier-to-use interface.
    You are aware that such an approach is really the wrong approach, right? The shell is the closest you can come to a native interface to a UNIX system, so it is really what should be used. Also, that way things are much easier to debug should they go wrong.
    If you really don't want to anyway, I can't help you further. I refrain from graphical programs as much as possible.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    If you really don't want to anyway, I can't help you further. I refrain from graphical programs as much as possible.
    Actually, I agree with you. I controll my server only in text modus by connecting to it with (SSH) Putty etc. Only times I ever use the graphical interfaces like KDE, is when I update my system. The auto-updater saves me a lot of work.

What I ment, was that I want to have a program that automaticly run backups at given times, and not just a tar.gz archive with the files. I want it so if something goes wrong, I can choose what parts to restore.

So don't misunderstand me, I can use the program in text modus - I just want it to be better than just a tar.gz package.

Linux Engineer
    If you want a more sofisticated software to handle you backup/restore you must look at mondo-mindi which have a graphic interface for restore or clooning of computers by tape or by cd-images. Check this out...

http://www.utterberg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    If you want a more sofisticated software to handle you backup/restore you must look at mondo-mindi which have a graphic interface for restore or clooning of computers by tape drive...
    Ah, that sounds more like what I need, thank you. - Now, I just hope it's free open_source...

I don't care if I have to use a gui to make it work, thing is to make my server secured right now...

Just Joined!
    Hey andutt, have you downloaded it?

I'm looking at his site, but the few download links (unstable only) that I find, is broken. Any ideas?

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/down...ute.html#rht80

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    I want it so if something goes wrong, I can choose what parts to restore.
    You can do that with a tar archive. tar was invented to make tape backups, remember? You can specify precisely which files to restore with globbing wildcards.

Linux Engineer
    Use the Generic RPM's

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/down...e.html#missing

And remember to read the installation instructions because mondoarchive needs a couple of thoose programs below on this page to work, if you havent included them in your installation.

Read the Anything missing? section and this

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/docs/docs.html

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast