Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've downloaded and installed VMWare Workstation on Fedora Core 11. Didn't have too many problems. However, when I try to run it, it tells me that it has to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Got VMWare installed, but problem getting it to run

I've downloaded and installed VMWare Workstation on Fedora Core 11. Didn't have too many problems. However, when I try to run it, it tells me that it has to install some modules into the running kernel. I click ok, and it shows a list of the modules it's going to install, but it fails on the first one, telling me to check a certain file for details of the error. Here are the details of the error:

Jul 29 07:42:56.995: app| Log for VMware Workstation pid=14376 version=6.5.2 build=build-156735 option=Release
    Jul 29 07:42:56.995: app| Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8
    Jul 29 07:42:56.995: app| Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-14376.log
    Jul 29 07:42:57.995: app| Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.
    Jul 29 07:42:58.022: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.29.6-213.fc11.x86_64/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.0

And that's all I know

Any ideas? Thanks, you guys are the best!

-abs

What is contained in /tmp/vmware-root/setup-14376.log?
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back but I"ve been out of town on business for the last 5 days.

The text in the above post is the contents of /tmp/vmware-root/setup-14376.log.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ah, okay

Well that's not very useful since the log file doesn’t show any problems. I guess the last line is the command that is causing update to fail. Does running it manually produce any errors?

Code:
    /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.29.6-213.fc11.x86_64/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.0
    Linux User #453176

My guess is none of the pre-built modules are available for your kernel, so vmware wants to build their modules for your kernel. That being said, in order to do this you need some things installed, including the kernel headers for your running kernel and also gcc and all those other things.

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    My guess is none of the pre-built modules are available for your kernel, so vmware wants to build their modules for your kernel. That being said, in order to do this you need some things installed, including the kernel headers for your running kernel and also gcc and all those other things.
    If that's the case I'd say you should install build-essential
    Linux User #453176

I would have made more suggestion, however I'm not sure of package names on Fedora since I have never used it.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I've tried installing "Development Tools," both from the Add/Remove Software GUI and using yum, but this process ends with the error message that the "database disk image is malformed." Does this mean that the online package is screwed up? Anything we can do about that?

Just Joined!
    So I continue to try this every couple of days, and I still see the error "database disc image is malformed" whenever I try to install Development Tools. Am I just dead in the water here?

No, the database is on your computer. Yum has just got a bit confused. You should be able to fix it with the command:

Code:
    yum clean all
    Linux User #453176

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast