Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm new here and hope to profit from your immense linux knowledge and of course to share my own experience where I can. I'm in a student organisation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

create local mirror of remote server without altering server

Hi all,

I'm new here and hope to profit from your immense linux knowledge and of course to share my own experience where I can.

I'm in a student organisation and we use a file server that runs linux. I can log in through ssh and copy using scp using login and password (no rsa/dsa keys because most users are windows users using winSCP and they're lacking in computer knowledge so we don't require them to mess around with keys)

However, I don't have network access everywhere, so I'd like to make a copy on my laptop harddisk of some of the folders I use most frequently. Note that I don't need it to copy files from my pc back to the remote server so I don't need two-way sync. Deleting the local copy every time and downloading a new full copy is not an option as we are talking about several gigabytes and the download speed is limited. Normally I would use Unison, however, this requires unison to be installed on both pc's and I can't install any software on the file server so this is not an option.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? I'm reasonable knowledgable about linux so I don't mind tinkering with some config files and using command line applications. Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    I got an e-mail that someone had posted the reply "did you try *wget* "
    Something like "wget -r -N path/to/remote/folder" is basically what i'm looking for yeah, only wget doesn't support ssh links. (that's probably why the post is gone now)
    Scp supports ssh but not downloading only modified files.