Find the answer to your Linux question:
Where do i get a java VM? How do i install a Java VM? I downloaded jre-1.3.1_08.i586.rpm from the sun website, when i click it redhat installs it on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Java VM

Where do i get a java VM?

How do i install a Java VM?

I downloaded jre-1.3.1_08.i586.rpm from the sun website, when i click it redhat installs it on the computer (so it says), but when i try and install limewire i get a message telling me to first install a Java Virtual Machine.

Have i installed the write thing or what have i done wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Linux Guru
    It is probably installed, it's only that Sun's JVM installs in strange places. Try running this, and then try again:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/j2re*/bin/java /usr/bin/java

Just Joined!

I'm having the same problem.....

I've installed the rpm - it's created the following directory - /usr/java/jre1.3.1_08/bin
    BUT when I type java I get unknown command.... what I am doing wrong ? I want to install a java .jar file....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Most likely you havent got your java binary in you path, try to execute the direct path.

Code:
    /usr/java/jre1.3.1_08/bin/java
    If that works, add that directory to you PATH environment variable in /etc/profile or in your .bash_profile in your homedirectory. Or perform the command that Dolda suggested, that should work for you to.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Also if is for a browswer u need to create a symbolic link to the java plugins, in the browers plugins directory. This needs to be smymbolic for mozilla otherwise the browser crashes.

I have java and mozilla running fine now but am not on my linus machine to give the directories

Just Joined!

you boys....

Thanks chaps ! that's cracked it