Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am relatively new to Linux, using both OpenSUSE and Mandriva with KDE 4.2. I am looking for a good backup solution. I've used Mac for a couple years and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a good Linux Backup Solution

I am relatively new to Linux, using both OpenSUSE and Mandriva with KDE 4.2.
    I am looking for a good backup solution. I've used Mac for a couple years and with Mac have used a program called SuperDuper with an external USB Hard Drive.
    With SuperDuper it would initially do a complete mirror of the hard drive. With each successive backup it would update the external hard drive but it is always a mirrored drive so if my internal hard drive crashed I'd instantly be able to boot from the external hard drive.
    Is there something like this available for Linux? What backup program should I look for? Any suggestions of a good brand of external hard drive to get?

Just Joined!
    If you need to have images of the whole hard drive backed up to the external drive, two solutions come to mind for this, however, neither have fancy interfaces and aren't quite as automatic as some prefer (you'd be doing these backup by hand every time you run the programs, selecting the hard drive to copy and its destination and a few more steps like image compression), but they can do the job.

My first choice would be CloneZilla, and after that, try PartImage. Both will create images of the entire drive that can then be restored from. The "hackish" kinda way to go about this from the command line would probably be to use the dd command with cron, but that's more than likely not what you're looking for (but it should work anyway). Though if you can stand to be a bit more involved in the backup process, you know, selecting a few more options than just the hard drive and the destination to mirror it, these two options should do you just fine.