Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've noticed the WorkBooth CD error on this forum, but never found a fix for it. This is a CD from an employer which checks your computer for technical specs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face WorkBooth CD error unresolved

I've noticed the WorkBooth CD error on this forum, but never found a fix for it. This is a CD from an employer which checks your computer for technical specs to make sure you have everythig the company needs for you to do your job. To complete the test, you must boot up on the CD. The CD uses Linux, and checks your system periferals, etc.

When I try to use it, the CD boots up fine and I enter the Welcome screen into Linux. The test begins, and my system passes on USB periferals, hard drive, etc., and then I get this error:

Error: "Cannot find linux filesystem, dropping you to a (very) limited shell"

Then, I get a Workbooth# (command line) prompt. I've tried the fixes from Tech Support:

"linux nodma"
    "linux all-generic-idle irqpoll"
    "failsafe"

None of these work.

I understand this is a known issue w/ Dell Inspiron 530 PCs. One of the techies told me it's because my computer has an SATA hard drive (and not an IDE one). I thought this was odd as that is the standard now.

Anyone have a fix for this? I just got

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If it is an IDE/SATA problem due to the dated nature of the Linux version that WorkBooth uses, then go into the BIOS of the system and select the option to emulate PATA/IDE drives instead of standard SATA. That should allow the CD to boot properly and finish the system audit. Once done, you can boot back to the BIOS and turn off the PATA/IDE drive emulation.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!