Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, anyone experienced this - when I try to open mp3 file located on NTFS partition XMMS can't play it! Files are loaded but play doesn't work. But when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

XMMS not reading files from NTFS partition

Hi, anyone experienced this - when I try to open mp3 file located on NTFS partition XMMS can't play it! Files are loaded but play doesn't work. But when I enter the NTFS partition from cmd line and run XMMS %file it works fine! Is there some problem in XMMS or is it about my NTFS partition? The owner of mounted NTFS is not root.

Just Joined!
    To tell you the truth, it sounds impossible. The only conclusion I can draw is that there is something wrong with the xmms GUI. Your partitions seem to be mounted fine.

Try using xine or mplayer or something else and see what happens

Which distro are you using?

I use XMMS over an ntfs partition and have no problems, using the gui also

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It seems that there's a problem in mounting my NTFS partition. What do u have in etc/fstab ? I've installed NTFS support into my FC2 and I think there's sth broken.

Just Joined!
    this is deffinatly an issue.

Basically if i restart my computer and load anything that reads off the NTFS drives i have. It will not read or find the files or drive. However if i first enter the drive via konqueror or the desktop icons i created and then run XMMS or amule or whatever, it has no problem at all finding and using the files.

here is my fstab concerning NTFS partitions.

/dev/hda5 /mnt/d vfat noauto,users,exec,rw,umask=000,uid=carl,gid=users 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/e ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=carl,gid=users 0 0
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/f ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=carl,gid=users 0 0

Just Joined!
    These are the lines from my fstab. I have absolutely no probs with reading my NTFS partitions:

Code:
    /dev/hda5        /mnt/ranjan      ntfs        users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda6        /mnt/aku         ntfs        users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    If you are using knoppix live CD, then the drive must first be mounted, only then you can read them. Knoppix will automatically mount the drives is you access them with konqueror.

also which kernel are you using? if you are using 2.6.8 well that's a very bad kernel and i dont even use it, too buggy if you ask me.

if you want to play you mp3's copy them to your linux partitions...you will get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by akudewan
    These are the lines from my fstab. I have absolutely no probs with reading my NTFS partitions:

Code:
    /dev/hda5        /mnt/ranjan      ntfs        users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda6        /mnt/aku         ntfs        users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    If you are using knoppix live CD, then the drive must first be mounted, only then you can read them. Knoppix will automatically mount the drives is you access them with konqueror.
    Thx, this helped me. I had typo in the fstab and had there only "user", not "users". Now it works great. Anyway I'm using kernel 2.6.8-1.521 and I like it