Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am seeking help in finding a web editor application. Actually I've narrowed it down to Kompozer or Quanta plus. I was leaning towards Kompozer, but then ran into a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quanta Plus usable for beginners? - templates?

I am seeking help in finding a web editor application. Actually I've narrowed it down to Kompozer or Quanta plus. I was leaning towards Kompozer, but then ran into a few things that it apparently doesn't do (and that I'd like to do.) I am still in the research phase. I haven't installed or used any application yet.

I have two questions:

- can a beginner realistically use Quanta Plus, and get help with it?

- I also have a specific way I want to make my websites. I want to have a template that has the basic page layout and navigation buttons, copyright etc. And I want to add different banner images, colors, backgrounds, etc to the pages in each section of the website.

If I make changes to the template, -for example if I add a navigation button, or modify the copyright year, - I want the changes to occur in all the pages, but not effect the colors, and other differences. Is this possible with either Quanta or Kompozer?

I was reading some basics on website creation when I came across the issue of whether or not a given web editor (such as Dreamweaver, Kompozer, Quanta Plus) will apply changes made to a template to all the pages that were made with that template. The page I was reading is:

www DOT thesitewizard DOT com /webdesign/common-elements-web-pages.shtml

(under the section heading "Pros and Cons of Using a Web Editor's Template System" )

The author said that Dreamweaver does this, but costs money. I then wondered if Kompozer does this. I looked into it, and I'm still not sure, but based on the "Editor features" chart of the below wikipedia page, -specifically the "Templates Update Sync" column- It appears that Kompozer doesn't have the feature, but Dreamweaver and Quanta Plus do.

en DOT wikipedia DOT org /wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_editors#Editor_features

Am I correct? Is "Templates Update Sync" the name for the feature in question?

Now, supposing that I've got my facts correct, -(Namely that Quanta Plus has the feature and Kompozer doesn't) -the next question is will a beginner like me be able to even use Quanta Plus?

I am unable to find answers to basic questions about Quanta Plus.

1. Will a beginner to the world of website creation be able to use this application?

2. Are there any guides, manuals etc that take you step by step through the processes, and are basic enough for a beginner to understand?

3. Is there a forum specifically for Quanta Plus? (I didn't find one.)

4. Is Quanta Plus, due to its complexity and/or lack of documentation, only practical for the seasoned web developer?

Can anyone comment on the following? (agree, explain, disagree?)

- - - -

www DOT softpedia DOT com/reviews/linux/Quanta-Plus-Review-18685.shtml

The Bad

VPL editor is not powerful enough to make Quanta accessible to complete newbies and if you insert some small scripts that Quanta doesn't support, the VPL editor will not display anything.

- - - -

Sincere thanks in advance to anyone that can educate me on these matters. I'm 'drowning' before I even get started.

Also any sites, ebooks, manuals, forums, etc that anyone can reccommend will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s. can a moderator grant me the ability to post urls? I'm here to ask questions about linux, not flood the site with spam links.

have you looked into a CMS such as joomla or drupal? This has a WYSIWYG editor, and allows you to setup default configs and stuff.

As for the links, its a security measure put in to prevent spam, yes. Until you reach the threshold required to post links you could simply post them inside of code tags as one workaround.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying coopstah13,

I only have a basic concept of what a CMS is. I was going to read/learn about them a little later on. This is because I didn't realize that you could make web pages/sites with them until I just went and looked over a few pages about them.

On the wikipedia page about drupal, under Critism, usabilty, -it says drupal is hard for a beginner to use, and that there's a steep learning curve.

After looking over the home page at the joomla site, it appears that they believe it to be usable by anyone.

Assuming you have used both applications, would you recommend joomla for a beginner?

On the features page of the website it mentioned a banner management feature. This sounds like it could be useful in what I want to do. Maybe it (and the other features/ capabilities) are exactly what I need.

Are these CMS's basically Web editors (WYSIWYG) plus more?

Do you know of any down sides to using Joomla as opposed to a Kompozer or Quanta?

Does Joomla have a large beginner-friendly following?

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I only have some experience, but typically they have a GUI that you interact with to set up the basic design for the site, then for the most part all you need to do is add pages etc. When you add pages they give you a WYSIWYG editor, plus you can add in html yourself as well. I think if you are only looking at creating a few pages it might be overkill, but if you are creating a website with a lot of content it would probably be easier to learn how to use a CMS.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again for your help.

For the last several days I've been trying to install Joomla.

I am having some trouble.

i installed XAMPP 1.7.2. on my Ubuntu 9.04. Then I found out that XAMPP 1.7.2 contains PHP 5.3, and that Jommla 1.5.14 doesn't work with PHP 5.3

So I uninstalled XAMPP 1.7.2, and installed 1.7.1 (which has PHP 5.2.9)

Now I can't get Joomla! 1.5.14 installed.

I'm root, I'm in the directory where the archive file is, and I execute the following command:

tar xvfz Joomla_1.5.14-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz -C /opt/lampp/htdocs/joomla15

joomla15 is the folder I created to put Joomla! in.

It gives me the following:

tar: /opt/lampp/htdocs/joomla15: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

its probably some basic mistake I'm overlooking. I'm new to Linux and the world of _AMPP

Have any idea?

that error means the destination directory doesn't exist, so you need to create it (hint use -p flag with mkdir) or you are pointing to an incorrect directory

Just Joined!
    I read what you said about how the directory did not exist. But there I was looking at it. So I asked myself "why does the computer think this file doesn't exist?"

The only thing I could come up with was that I had created the Joomla15 directory while logged in as root. When I say "logged in" I mean I actually logged off as in "switch users". Then I logged in as root and created the directory. Then I was trying to tar the archive contents into the Joomla15 directory. It wouldn't recognize the file whether I was logged in as root, or whether I was logged in as me but did the "su -" command to switch to root.

In any case, what I did was I deleted the joomla15 directory and created a new one in its place. Then it worked.

All I can say is computers are strange and temperamental things.

Thanks for your help.

I have Joomla! installed now but still can't get it configured. I've posted my problems on other forums though because they seem to be Joomla specific.

If anyone has any experience with configuring Joomla on XAMPP let me know if you want to take a wack at it.

once it is installed, the first time you go to your joomla installation through browser it should automatically run you through the setup.

Just Joined!
    I get to the "Pre-Installation Check" screen in the "Joomla! Web Installer", and I've got several red items on the list.

The items that are red are:

"configuration.php Writable" (theres a red No, instead of a green Yes)

"Display Errors" (the recommended is OFF but mine is ON )

"Register Globals" (the recommended is OFF but mine is ON )

I have no idea of how to rectify these.

The first item above is a requirement for Joomla! to work.

For the second and third items it says:

"These are the recommended settings for PHP in order to ensure full compatibility with Joomla!.
    Joomla! will still operate even if your settings do not match."

But trust me, I need all the help I can get, so to avoid as many future issues as possible I'd like to change all these things to the recommended settings.

You need to check folder and file permissions and ownership on joomla installation. They should be owned by the apache user (typically www or www-data). You can rectify this fairly simply with command
    Code:
    chown -R <apache user>:<apache-user> /path/too/joomla
    You will need to replace the <apache-user> with either www or www-data depending on which it is, I would try www first, and if that doesn't work try www-data. Obviously /path/too/joomla needs to be replaced with the full path to joomla.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast