Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there everyone, I'm using Dreamlinux 3.5(Debian based), but doubt that my problem is distro specific. I've tried Pidgin ayttm to try to connect to my im accounts. Both apps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

All IM applications fail to connect properly

Hi there everyone,

I'm using Dreamlinux 3.5(Debian based), but doubt that my problem is distro specific.

I've tried Pidgin ayttm to try to connect to my im accounts. Both apps connect, but I can't actually im to and fro. Pidgin doesn't show anyone on and ayttm shows the people online but won't allow me to talk to them. If I boot into my Win partition, I can IM just fine. Also, if I connect to my accounts using a web based IM client like Meebo while on linux, it works fine. All other computers on the network connect without issue.

I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear them. Thanks in advance for your time.

json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

What protocol are you trying to use? Yahoo?

If so, yahoo changed some stuff up, and older clients don't work anymore. The solution at this point is to upgrade to a newer release of pidgin, at least. Never used ayttm.

The Flaming Banker: Some Clarification on Yahoo! Issues

Hi there Reed, and thanks very much for the reply.

The debian repos are way, way off on the latest version of pidgin, so I'm currently trying to update to the latest version. I'm hoping that will solve the problem

Thanks very much for the heads-up. I'll be back with an update

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What a pain in the keester getting to latest ver., but after updating to the latest, it connects like a champ

Thanks for your help!
    json