Find the answer to your Linux question:
This seems to have happened rather randomly and I can't find any solution for it. I'm a bit lazy as of late and as a result, I've been running certain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X.org and su

This seems to have happened rather randomly and I can't find any solution for it.

I'm a bit lazy as of late and as a result, I've been running certain applications through console. Of course, some of these apps require internet access and as a result I have to start nm-applet in sudo. But one day, I booted up and I started nm-applet and noticed I get:
    Code:
     No protocol specified
    konversation: cannot connect to X server :0.0
    on just about every single application that requires anything to do with X.org. I use HAL to configure X.org for me and everything has been working rather smoothly until this.

THE KEY: If I start all of my internet-wanting applications before I start nm-applet in sudo, then they start just fine. Anything I start after 'sudo nm-applet --sm-disable' and I'm completely screwed. Any idea on what might be causing this?

NOTE: It's not nm-applet. If I start anything in sudo, that means I can't start anything else.

DISTRO: Arch Linux NOTE: Unrelated to distribution.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, I believe it's because xserver doesn't allow root to connect.

Try this
    Code:
    DISPLAY=:0.0 xhost +
    But, you shouldn't use sudo to run gui programs as root, anyway, use kdesu or gksu. I haven't used networkmanager for ages, but I don't recall nm-applet needing to be run as root either.

Just Joined!
    Strange... I can't start the process unless I'm in root.... I'll look further into the situation.

Also, xhost returns:
    Code:
    No protocol specified
    xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"
    This is a known problem but I've yet to see a solution. Any idea?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Regarding networkmanager, are you a member of the network group?

What are these other programs you're starting with 'sudo'?

Just Joined!
    None.

Seems the above description of the sudo app causing the problems is wrong. It just started after I randomly tried to start k3b to burn ROS. I can't seem to pinpoint the direction the bug is coming from. For eth0, I don't even use nm-applet.

Just Joined!
    I fixed it. It was a PolicyKit configuration problem. It seems to be a bit different for everyone and the solution is everywhere. Just google for 'PolicyKit configuration'.