Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am looking for a program (database?) where you can accommodate the documentation of a system administrator. Multiple administrators need read and write access to this documentation. Presently every ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sysadmin shared documentation

Hello,

I am looking for a program (database?) where you can accommodate the documentation of a system administrator. Multiple administrators need read and write access to this documentation.

Presently every administrator uses an OpenOffice document (with password protection). As you know only 1 person will get write access at the same time.

A complicated CMS solution is not our aim. So we are looking for anything without a server. It should be easy to implement and use.

Has anyone an idea what tool or database could be recommendable for this aims?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A lot of people are using Wiki's these days for such purposes. You can allow the appropriate people access to add/edit the wiki, and others read-only access if desired.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Cool

Thank you for this proposal, Rubberman.

Where I can download an appropriate application?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up

I have tried some programs, but nothing suitably.

Google Wave will be fitting, but now it is Beta and the server part is bounded to Google itself. I don't trust this company.
    May be I will test Google Wave in fall 2010, if the stable release candidat is out.

There are Collaborative real-time editors like MoonEdit or Gooby. But most of them are minimalistic (text-only), old, unsecure or something. Mateedit ist for Linux only.

I tested Abiword and it seems to be the best collaborative real-time editor. Not perfect, but on the way up. It works from version 2.8.1 only (don't use previous versions).

Linux Guru
    Collaborative web apps are everywhere - one such "newer" one built on LAMP and Drupal is Open Atrium.

Just Joined!

Talking

@ HROAdmin26:

Yes, but not for my special needs.

Most of them are server based.

you don't have an internal server to host it on? even a small vm should handle this well if you only have a few users

Just Joined!

Talking

Well, I decided against Abiword also, due to odd behavior. You don't need a server but have to check who has open the document first, then request for sharing, while the other (first) user have to confirm your request every time you ask for it. I don't want daily fiddling. Abiword is not practicable for collaboration in this state.

I was trying Gobby again.
    Gobby-0.5 works only with version 0.4.93 troublefree.

It's disadvantage is the lack of formatting capabilities and the inadequate documentation. Though it works fine for me.

I use tiddlywiki, combined with subversion.

TiddlyWiki - a reusable non-linear personal web notebook
    linux user # 503963