Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to write a application for formating a device with ext2 filesystem but ; I ve to store the superblock information shd write to another file other than wrting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Needed Help on EXT2 file system Superblock

I want to write a application for formating a device with ext2 filesystem but ; I ve to store the superblock information shd write to another file other than wrting to the device itself ?

Plz anybody can help me in this matter ....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please provide more detail what you need to do, and why. Thanks.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Please provide more detail what you need to do, and why. Thanks.
    Sir

Thank U for replying . Actually I ve 4 memory devices of same size and showing as 4 device node in file system . I ve to write a application to read write data to the device mounting ext2 filesystem to it . I ve another kernel module which will show these 4 memory device as one and my application will distribute data when we ll read write data to the memory device . So here if one memory device got corrupted then the part of superblock written to the memory device will also got corrupt and whole filesytem and other memory device will become unusable also .

So my idea to write the superblock to another file or replicate it to another file ,, becoz if one my memory device got failed also superblock are safe and the work shd continue with other three memory device .

Is it possible ? Can we run file system for a device linking the superblock to aother place ?

Plz help with some ideas ....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The standard ext2/ext3 file system utilities support multiple superblocks. By default, mkfs.ext2 will create multiple superblocks (default + a number of backup copies) on the device. See the mkfs.ext2 or mke2fs man pages for more details.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!