Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows of an application for Gnome (not KDE) that can burn DivX files to DVD? I cannot seem to find one. Often ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question A DivX burning application

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an application for Gnome (not KDE) that can burn DivX files to DVD? I cannot seem to find one. Often I get these great documentaries (not copyrighted to my knowledge) that I'd love to have on DVD to show friends.

A HUGE thanks in advance.
    Stu

Linux Guru
    You could try first converting them to a DVD type mpg (or VOB) file. The Avidemux program can do this, and if you don't mind terminal commands, there is ffmpeg. There is also the terminal program Mencoder, which is part of Mplayer.

To make DVDs, I use Q-DVDauthor. You can make customized menus with it, but there is a learning curve.

Edit:

Here is an example of the command used to make a DVD type file with ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target ntsc-dvd /tmp/dvd.mpg
    Of course, replace "myfile.avi" with the correct file name, and the /tmp/dvd.mpg directory with the one you want to use. The ntsc-dvd option is a preset option to make USA compatible DVD files.
    Last edited by waterhead; 11-16-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.