Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Do you know good speech recognition software for linux? One my friend (Carlo Wood developer of ext3grep) really needs it. Mailinglist moderation problems - ext3grep | Google Groups Thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow *Help Needed* -speech recognition

Hi,
    Do you know good speech recognition software for linux?
    One my friend (Carlo Wood developer of ext3grep) really needs it.
    Mailinglist moderation problems - ext3grep | Google Groups

Thanks your help in advance.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is very much a work-in-progress. There aren't any open source tools as mature as proprietary solutions such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, et al. One of the more promising implementations is voximp, available here: voximp - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Smile

Thanks a lot Rubberman I'll check these tools. Hopefully It will help Carlo wood.Since Open source community _does_ need people like him.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Thanks a lot Rubberman I'll check these tools. Hopefully It will help Carlo wood.Since Open source community _does_ need people like him.
    No doubt about that! Good luck, and let us know what you come up with. I also have family and friends who could benefit from this. Currently they are stuck pretty much in the MS world.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    No doubt about that! Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
    Thanks,I'll update here for any help for Carlo I have asked him whether a specific tool (DNS) , which will be useful for him.If he is interested ,then I'm planning seeking donations/fund raising for purchasing a speech recognition kit for his use from open source community
    -----

A good bluetooth headset (no wires) is a good start. I got a Plantronics one from buy.com which works really well for me for skype, voice recording, etc. Also, there are some extended-range USB bluetooth transceivers that are good. I have a Belkin one which all of my Linux distributions seem to support, plus it has a lot longer range than the one built into my laptop. That one (built-in) drops out at the periphery of my house, whereas the Belkin one doesn't. The standard ones have a range of 50-60 feet. The extended range ones have a range of up to 300 feet. The main downside to most bluetooth headsets is that they are not stereo (only go into one ear), but the Plantronics one can be worn all day without discomfort, plus the good ones have very nice noise-cancellation features.

It'll be very helpful ,thanks for valuable informations
    -----