Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I was given the task of installing Moses on a SUSE system and was advised that it should take a couple of days at the most. So, I'm stupid ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Fallen at the final hurdle (Moses installation)

Hi.

I was given the task of installing Moses on a SUSE system and was advised that it should take a couple of days at the most.

So, I'm stupid !

More than 3 weeks down the road and I've installed GNU GCC, GMP, MPFR, GNUMake, TCL, TK and SRILM to name a few of the dependent apps. As I only had Moses left to install I told my boss it would be ready by the end of the week. You guessed it, last week.

I should say in my defence that I don't know Linux beyond what I've learned during the last 3 weeks, BUT I cannot seem to resolve this problem.

When I try to build Moses I get the following error:

In file included from InputFileStream.cpp:23:
    gzfilebuf.h:5:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory

I have checked and the zlib-dev package is installed (32 bit & 64 bit packages have 'i' adjacent to them in the yast app) but the make can't find it.

I'm suspect I'm missing something obvious but I just can't see it. Any suggestions would be gratfully received.

Regards,
    Tim

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Your make file probably has not included the correct directory for the zlib.h header. Are you familiar with make and the gcc -I (dash-eye to specify header include directories) option?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi.

I managed to build it. It was a zlib thing as you say. I had not installed zlib-devel, only zlib.

Now it's all built and installed without any errors. However, I have no idea where it is on the system or how to run it. It's completely invisible as is SRILM.

I'll be glad when I can get back to the good old PC (sigh)

Just Joined!
    Almost there now, but for another unfathomable (to me) problem...

Everything is installed including all the support programs.

When I try to run a simple test of the application I get the following error:
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /src/trunk/moses-cmd/src/moses)

Is this something to do with GCC as I have installed the latest version already, or is it something completely different? (I've also installed all the upgrades I can find via Yast2)

Any suggestions would be welcome...

TIA Tim

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It looks like there is a dependency on gcc version 3.4 and you probably have a version 4.x installed. Fortunately, Linux allows multiple versions of the gnu compiler suite to be installed so that you can get these resolved. I have gcc 3.4.6, 4.1.2, and 4.4.0 installed on my system for just such reasons. Go to your package manager and search for gcc34 or gcc-34 and install that. It will also install any required libraries.

Just Joined!
    When you say package manager, would that be yasc ?

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I mean yast...

If you are running Suse Linux then I think that yes, yast is the package manager. I've only evaluated Suse on systems of mine a couple of times so I'm not overly familiar with it so that's about as far as I can get you.

Just Joined!
    OK. Many thanks...