Find the answer to your Linux question:
First-time poster, first-time Linux user, so I'm not sure if this should be in the "Newbie" section or not, I'm trying to educate myself on Linux over the last few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing anti-virus software to scan Windows partition

First-time poster, first-time Linux user, so I'm not sure if this should be in the "Newbie" section or not, I'm trying to educate myself on Linux over the last few days. My situation is this: I got a pretty horrendous virus that crippled my computer last week. I managed to boot up from a linux live cd which allowed me to back-up all my important files to a second hard drive in the event I have to reformat the C drive. I'm trying to avoid reformatting however and I'd much rather wipe out the virus. The virus has disabled all antivirus software in Windows. Therefore I want to scan the Windows partition from Linux but I don't quite understand the process of DL'ing and installing linux software. From what I gather ClamAV has the capability to do what I want but I'm not sure how to run it once I install it, or even how to complete installation for that matter. (I couldn't figure out how to get firefox to run either after downloading that.) I know it's not like Windows where you just open the .exe file and away you go.

So this is a pretty broad question but can someone briefly walk me through the process of installing and running an app in Linux?

which linux livecd are you trying to use?

Even on a livecd, you should be able to use the package manager to "install" clamav and run it, but how to install it will depend on the linux distro you are using. Firefox will be the same as well.

I wouldnt go that route, as you dont know, what already was destroyed/infected.
    Even after a clamav run.

My advice would be:
    Save every file, that is important to you. (Apparently, you already did that)
    Then do a fresh install ( maybe even a linux, where virii dont matter? :P )
    After that install, check your restored files with a virus scanner, before you use them again.
    Last edited by Irithori; 12-02-2009 at 11:45 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    Coopstah- I ran Puppy Linux last night though I plan to try Ubuntu tonight just to give that a whirl and see if the interface makes more sense. From what little I've learned so far Ubuntu has an easier-to-use "package manager" for installing programs than Puppy.

Irithori- I'm trying to avoid doing any kind of install or reformat so I don't lose any programs or files. I think I saved all the important files but I'm not 100%.

HRO- do I boot and run the program directly from these rescue CD's similar to the linux live cd? Would I burn them as an ISO?

Linux Guru
    Read the links.

Hereís the detailed step-by-step on how to use Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
    1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO.

2. Burn the ISO with your CD/DVD burning software. If you donít have one, you can use ImgBurn. You can follow the guide on this page on how to burn ISO to a CD using ImgBurn.

3. After finished burning Kaspersky Rescue Disk to CD, insert the CD to your CD/DVD-ROM, and boot up your computer with it.

4. You will get a screen that looks like below. Hit the ENTER key to start booting the Anti-Virus using linux.
    When a virus gets on your system, the first thing it does is copy itself into...the OS files. Which means that you are *hoping* that these system files can be cleaned. Many times they cannot - hence, as already mentioned, the only sure way to remove a virus is to reinstall the OS.

Just Joined!
    Got it HRO, thanks. Anyone have any personal recommendations on which one to use? Kaspersky, BitDefender, any preferences?

Linux Guru
    From the same page:

The best Rescue CD must have the fastest scanning speed, able to detect all 11 virus that I planted in the computer, no maintenance on virus signatures via online update and lets you decide on what to do with the virus after finished scanning. So far only Kaspersky and Quick Heal able to detect all 11 virus and if compared between this two rescue CD, Iíd say Kaspersky Rescue CD is the winner because it is free, supports signature updates and flexible configurations. Quick Healís advantage is only the super fast scanning speed but what I donít like about it is it auto deletes the threat if unable to repair, no updates, no configuration, and itís not free since you need to create from Quick Heal desktop antivirus.