Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello! is there any way for me to install apps if i dont have an internet connection... (i.e. i still cant configure linux to have a connection to the internet.. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install apps if you dont have an internet connection

hello!

is there any way for me to install apps if i dont have an internet connection... (i.e. i still cant configure linux to have a connection to the internet.. because it requires an app to be installed).

thanks in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes, there is... you can use an internet enabled computer to download the application that you want along with all its dependencies and save them to a flash drive, then install them on your machine using the package manager for your distribution.
    oz

Depending on the distro, you can purchase the repositories on CD/DVD.

OSDisc.com - Linux - Ubuntu

What application do you need in order to make the internet connection work?
    I guess rp-pppoe ?
    What distribution are you using?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, you have an internet connection, but the version of Linux you have isn't seeing it? What type of device and connection are you using? Common ones are a cable/dsl modem connected to a router (hardwire or wireless), a cable or dsl modem connected directly to the computer, a modem with a dialup connection, a wireless broadband modem for service providers such as AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, et al. A USB connection to a cellphone with modem capabilities, etc. You need to be specific, also we need information about the distribution+version of Linux you are using, such as Ubuntu 9.04, Fedora Core 11, Mandriva, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    first of all, thanks to everyone that took time to read my post. tnx for the replies.

i'm using Ubuntu 9.04. the device i'm using is a Huawei E1552 modem. the device is already detected, but i'm doubting if it is working properly. i still cant connect it to the internet.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the modem (I assume it's a dialup modem that uses standard telephone lines) is directly connected to the computer, then you need to use ppp (point-to-point protocol) and dialer that is part of your network connection software. First, make sure the modem is connected to the system and turned on. Is this a serial or usb modem? On Ubuntu, right click on the network icon on the top of your screen. Make sure you have checked the "Enable Networking" box, then select the menu entry "Edit Connections". What entries (tabs) do you see at the top of the form?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Living a life in the IT perspective...: Workaround for Huawei E1552 and Ubuntu Jaunty (Linux)

You can download udev-extras to a flash drive, transfer to your Ubuntu box, and install using gdebi (just double click on the file.)

Just Joined!
    but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.