Find the answer to your Linux question:
Under Kword from xfce window manager in Slackware 12.0 I was able to open micro$oft *.doc files and save them by appending a .txt instead of .doc. This allowed me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Kword change

Under Kword from xfce window manager in Slackware 12.0 I was able to open micro$oft *.doc files and save them by appending a .txt instead of .doc. This allowed me to read them.
    Under rev 13.0 & its attending Kword when I "Save As" even with an appended .txt the file looks like a .doc file, gibberish. Is there a way to save a .doc file as .txt and get a text file? The saved: file is considered an OpenDocumentText file. Convert does not work.

oz
    forum.guy
    I usually save files as rich text files (.rtf) so that they work from one Linux word processor to another. I've not used the latest version of Kword though, and don't run an Microsoft Office stuff, so can't speak on that.
    oz

Linux User

Kword change

I am not currently saving anything from M$ XP the .doc files are what I get off of web and old stuff.
    Yes, I am aware of .rtf but .doc files were good to save pictures in which are of course now lost dummy me.
    Is there a setting in the new Kword that needs to be set in order to get a .txt file from a .doc file?