Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have this old laptop lying around and wanted to do something with it. The hard drive is shot but the rest is in fine working order. The computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for Digital Photo Frame

Hi,

I have this old laptop lying around and wanted to do something with it. The hard drive is shot but the rest is in fine working order. The computer isn't altogether that old, I think it's a Pentium M with 1 Gb of RAM, Intel GMA integrated video. Anyways I was thinking I might use the laptop as a wireless enabled digital photo frame, which I could give to my parents as a gift and be able to modify pictures on remotely, either through a flickr account or a dropbox folder, or something. I was also thinking I might have one of those online shared whiteboards displaying permanently on the screen, so that I could go to some link from any computer, leave a note, and it would display on the laptop turned digital photo fra me. I guess alternatively I could accomplish that just by displaying a jpeg of the note but the whiteboard idea is just so much cooler.

Anyways I was wondering if any of you guys had ideas on applications which could accomplish what I'm looking for. A good slideshow program, and possibly some type of browser which can display a website full screen, without any toolbars or whatever.

Also do you have ideas for a lightweight distros which could boot up as fast as possible to do just that? Technically the OS doesn't even need a window manager or a real GUI. Even if I could boot to shell and automatically launch the slideshow that would be perfect.

Other than that if you've done something similar, have tips, maybe ideas for extra features that might be cool... Let me know.

I would do the following:
    - Arch
    - DWM
    - FEH

hope that will get your brainspliters working and that you will be able to build something really quickly. I am not sure/aware of any ready-out-of-the-box systems.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions seem perfectly suited to what I want to do.

Although I must say, this statement on dwm's homepage is intimidating:

"Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, itís pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions."

In any case I'll probably run into a bunch of problems trying to get arch and dwm working but it should be fun times.

Thanks for the help

If you have anyproblems you can always PM me
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..