Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I think I totally screwed up Yahoo Messenger on my system. I'm using Red Hat 9, but dl'd the Red Hat 8 version. As I was a total newbie ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screwed up YMessenger

Hi.

I think I totally screwed up Yahoo Messenger on my system. I'm using Red Hat 9, but dl'd the Red Hat 8 version. As I was a total newbie a week ago, I didn't quite catch that I needed GTKHtml or something like that to make it work. So I thought until today that the version just wasn't compatible.

Earlier yesterday though, I performed the following commands:

rpm -qa | grep ymessenger

then
    rpm -e ymessenger(package version that was reported)

After which I waited for about 3 minutes, but my root prompt never came back. I tried some commands, no go. After more waiting, I closed the console window.

Now, whenever I type the following:
    rpm -qa | grep ymessenger
    rpm -e ymessenger(package version)
    rpm -ivh ymessenger(package version)

my console locks up. There's no other recourse but to close it. Is messenger still removable/reinstallable?? HELP!!!

Linux Enthusiast
    try rpm -e ymessenger in the konsole

you could use gaim - you will need gkspell as a dependency to install it though

Just Joined!

Fixed

I got the problem fixed.

Oddly enough, I did something very "Windows".

In spite of logging in repeatedly and using terminal / konsole / you name it, I couldn't get it uninstalled.

Then I rebooted.

Weirdness.

It worked the the next time I typed it in.

Linux Enthusiast
    I wonder if it would have worked if you just logged out, hmm.
    You should check out gaim too when you get a chance if you use multiple messenger clients.

Just Joined!

gaim

Hmm...I checked out your faq on how to install gaim. I downloaded Glib 2.2.1 thinking that it was compatible with 2.0 version. After a quite simple, albeit, lengthy installation, it finished. I tried to install Gaim, but it complained that my Glib version was not 2.0.

Can I download Glib 2.0 and install over 2.2.1? I don't really know how to uninstall 2.2.1, moreover, the installation in the terminal really looked complex, more so, LONG.

Linux Enthusiast
    try installing gtkspell first:
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...&system=&arch=
    (get the second one down - the i386 version)

then get the gaim rpm:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...p?group_id=235

you might have to use rpm -Uvh if you already have gaim installed or you might have to remove your old version first. Since you don't use it anyway right now, I would just remove your old version before you start.
    try rpm -e gaim in the terminal or you can use kpackage and remove it from there.
    after that is done, you can try to install the new gaim rpm.
    it may bring up other dependency issues, if so, let me know and I will help out.
    You may end up having to use the source file in the end, but let's try this first and see how it goes.
    Another alternative is to just use the version of gaim that comes with rh 8 - you can safely and easily upgrade to version 0.59.9 by rpm, it wasn't until 0.60 that they changed the build for it.

Just Joined!

solved

I downloaded Gaim 0.62 and it asked for another dependency, libgtk something, which was available for Red Hat 9 in your shrike RPMs link under the name gtkspell.

I suppose that the new version either recognized the new Glib version, or doesn't need it (yeah right).

Thanks for the help. Only problem now is I can't go invisible when using the Yahoo Messenger protocol (though "on vacation" works fine). No idea why. Can't avoid the guys now LOL!

Linux Guru

Re: Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Fonso
    Oddly enough, I did something very "Windows".

In spite of logging in repeatedly and using terminal / konsole / you name it, I couldn't get it uninstalled.

Then I rebooted.

Weirdness.

It worked the the next time I typed it in.
    I just want to explain that. RPM does have a bug. I don't know how they could _not_ have fixed it, but on the other hand, I'm not a RPM developer, so I don't really know anything about it.
    The thing is that RPM uses some strange kind of mutex on the RPM database to prevent several processes from accessing it simultaneously. Sometimes that fails, and for some reason that I just can't figure out, it helps if you reboot the machine. Someday I might check more closely on it, but not now.

Linux Enthusiast
    regarding the invisible part for the yahoo protocol...

I think if you sign into yahoo messenger somewhere else (via yahoo messenger itself) and designate yourself as invisible, it may carry over to the yahoo protocol in gaim.

Just Joined!
    After tinkering some more with Gaim 0.62, a friend and I found out that the invisible mode does work, though there is a short 4-6 second interval before it activates. Second, Gaim currently has no way to carry-over busy and invisible settings to the next log-in. This statement probably tells that there's no way to log-in in invisible mode as well.

Of course, it IS embarrassing when you're avoiding someone and he/she sees you log in for a mere 5 seconds