Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Pclinuxos with KDE 4.3.4. I have installed Truecrypt but am having problems using this program when the user is not root. If I try to mount or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Truecrypt problem under linux.

I am running Pclinuxos with KDE 4.3.4. I have installed Truecrypt but am having problems using this program when the user is not root. If I try to mount or make an encrypted container a message pops up saying:

Administrator privileges required: enter user password or administrator password

When I enter the root password a box then says:

Failed to obtain administrator privileges: username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported

I can't understand why this has happened as I gave the root password. Once I provide the root password, surely I become all powerful and the system should let me do anything? Also to mount a encrypted file in Truecrypt I have to assign full write permissions for users to the /media directory. Is this safe to do?

The only way I have found to use Truecrypt with a non root user account is to go to super user mode terminal, sign in with root password, CD to the truecrypt directory and launch Truecrypt from the terminal. I find this very laborious to do every time.

Do other people have these problems?

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

I believe you need to set up SUDO to work with your user name... Try MAN SUDO. Someplace there is a config file in which you add your user name. At least I believe that is what is happening.

Dave

Just Joined!
    What do you mean setup SUDO to work with my username? What is MAN SUDO? I know you can get root access by typing SUDO in the terminal, but giving a user full root privileges all the time seems insecure? This would be like logging in as root? Sorry if I sound dumb but I am a real Linux newbie!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close