Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have SSDs connect to my Linux machine through the LSI SAS/SATA 1068E controller. I've been trying to issue a ATA secure erase command to my SSDs, but I keep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hdparm LSI controller support?

I have SSDs connect to my Linux machine through the LSI SAS/SATA 1068E controller. I've been trying to issue a ATA secure erase command to my SSDs, but I keep getting error. In fact even hdparm -i fails.

# hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid exchange
    HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument

Initially I thought there was some kernel configuration issue, so I tried connecting a SSD to the on board SATA and I no longer get errors. The secure erase worked. It seems there is some compatability issue with hdparm and the LSI controller/driver I'm using.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make hdparm play nice with my LSI controller?

Has anyone had success getting hdparm to work with drives connected to an LSI controller?

Additianal info:
    Linux Kernel: 2.6.30
    hdparm: v9.27
    LSI driver: Fusion MPT SAS Host driver 3.04.07

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Is this driver part of the Linux kernel codebase, or is it from LSI? If from LSI, then I would suggest their tech support would be the appropriate venue to address this problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes, the driver is included in the Linux kernel codebase.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you checked with the LSI web site to see if they have a newer/better driver for your system? There is a lot of hardware that has "linux support" in the kernel, but minimal. In many cases, you are better off with vendor-supplied drivers. The nVidia graphics drivers are a good case in point. Yes, the kernel does have nvidia support built in, but it isn't current and doesn't support a lot of functions - pretty basic in fact.

Ok. I just looked on the LSI web site and found this page: LSISAS1068E : SAS ICs : Standard Product ICs : Storage Products : Storage : LSI

Note that they have support for RHEL and SUSE distributions. RHEL 5 is up to kernel 2.6.18. I don't know about SLES 10. They support SLES 9 and 10, and RHEL 4 and 5. You may be SOL, but if you are running a Red Hat distribution (Fedora perhaps), then you could try the RHEL 5 driver. There's a reasonable chance it could work.

Just Joined!
    just for the record for anyone else who stumbles across this thread

you might be able to use "smartctl -d megaraid,N /dev/sda" or "smartctl -d sat+megaraid,N /dev/sda" to talk to the drives, I've not found a way to get hdparm to do the same.

another option would be to install "mpt status", use "mpt-status -p" and "mptstatus -i N" to get the raid set information.