Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Newbie here regarding Linux. I bought a netbook (VPC) which is basic netbook with limited features. It has a basic version of Linux (Linux 2.6.24 platform). My instruction booklet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Flash player

Hello,

Newbie here regarding Linux. I bought a netbook (VPC) which is basic netbook with limited features. It has a basic version of Linux (Linux 2.6.24 platform). My instruction booklet says it does not support Flash (player): Flash - The current browser does not support any Flash players. This will prevent viewing some web pages.
    Certain major websites have a simplified version on the server which will load up.

WHen I try to play games in flash, it does not work etiher. Browsing on the web also is very limited, i only see mobile (cell phone) versions??? (the instruction booklet does state this though) I cannot even put favorites ??

Is there a way that I can get Flash installed,or a better browser ? so I can play games that are on Facebook, etc. ? and view web sites like a "normal" human being should be viewing them on the web ?

Not sure if you need other info, if yes, let me know,
    This is what I figured out so far:
    Wi-Fi

Onboard USB and Ethernet ports

An SD reader

7″ TFT display with an 800480 resolution

2GB of internal storage

100 MHz processor

Linux with preloaded programs such as internet browser, spreadsheet, word processor, a media player for movies, music and pictures, e-book reader, dictionary, calendar, PDF reader, email, chat, calculator, file manager

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Eli

According to the Fidelity Electronics website

Flash - The current browser does not support any Flash players. This will prevent viewing some web pages.
    Certain major websites have a simplified version on the server which will load up.
    So you would not only need to install flash, but a different web browser. Whether that is possible...possibly not for flash, browser maybe, but not without work.

I couldn't find any info on it, but I would wager this piece of .... uses a MIPS processor. If that is the case, then you are completely out of luck. Flash is a proprietary piece of software and Adobe does not provide MIPS support. (They are working on ARM support.)

We might be able to check. Are you able to open a terminal? (Look for a program called xterm).

If so, type
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    uname -a
    and post the output.

Even if you could install flash, with a 100 MHz processor, I doubt you'd be able to use it. The flash website puts the minimum requirements at 800 MHz.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you spent more than $50 on this thing, I think it's a ripoff. I paid $250 for a Dell Mini 9 with an 8 GB SSD drive, 1.6 MHz Atom Processor, and 1 GB RAM and $140 for an eee pc with a 900 MHz processor, 4 GB SSD, and 512 MB RAM. The sites I saw had the VPC selling for $200.