Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Flash player

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Flash player

Hello,

Newbie here regarding Linux. I bought a netbook (VPC) which is basic netbook with limited features. It has a basic version of Linux (Linux 2.6.24 platform). My instruction booklet says it does not support Flash (player): Flash - The current browser does not support any Flash players. This will prevent viewing some web pages.
    Certain major websites have a simplified version on the server which will load up.

WHen I try to play games in flash, it does not work etiher. Browsing on the web also is very limited, i only see mobile (cell phone) versions??? (the instruction booklet does state this though) I cannot even put favorites ??

Is there a way that I can get Flash installed,or a better browser ? so I can play games that are on Facebook, etc. ? and view web sites like a "normal" human being should be viewing them on the web ?

Not sure if you need other info, if yes, let me know,
    This is what I figured out so far:
    Wi-Fi

Onboard USB and Ethernet ports

An SD reader

7″ TFT display with an 800×480 resolution

2GB of internal storage

100 MHz processor

Linux with preloaded programs such as internet browser, spreadsheet, word processor, a media player for movies, music and pictures, e-book reader, dictionary, calendar, PDF reader, email, chat, calculator, file manager

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Eli

According to the Fidelity Electronics website

Flash - The current browser does not support any Flash players. This will prevent viewing some web pages.
    Certain major websites have a simplified version on the server which will load up.
    So you would not only need to install flash, but a different web browser. Whether that is possible...possibly not for flash, browser maybe, but not without work.

I couldn't find any info on it, but I would wager this piece of .... uses a MIPS processor. If that is the case, then you are completely out of luck. Flash is a proprietary piece of software and Adobe does not provide MIPS support. (They are working on ARM support.)

We might be able to check. Are you able to open a terminal? (Look for a program called xterm).

If so, type
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    uname -a
    and post the output.

Even if you could install flash, with a 100 MHz processor, I doubt you'd be able to use it. The flash website puts the minimum requirements at 800 MHz.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you spent more than $50 on this thing, I think it's a ripoff. I paid $250 for a Dell Mini 9 with an 8 GB SSD drive, 1.6 MHz Atom Processor, and 1 GB RAM and $140 for an eee pc with a 900 MHz processor, 4 GB SSD, and 512 MB RAM. The sites I saw had the VPC selling for $200.