Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm majoring in computer science, and getting ready to take my first C++ class. The environment they're using is all windows, but I wanted to do my programming in Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting ready to start programming, what's a good program to use.

I'm majoring in computer science, and getting ready to take my first C++ class. The environment they're using is all windows, but I wanted to do my programming in Linux. I was wanting to know what's a good programming suite that is comparable to MS Visual C++. I'm also curious about the portability of something I make in Linux, can I make a program in Linux and import it over to Windows, and what would be involved in making it compatible?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.1

So let's take the easy question first.

The portability of a C++ program depends on whether or not you use external libraries. If you only use the C++ Standard Library or the Standard Template Library, these are universal and included with all C++ compilers. Therefore, basic input/output and data structures are accessible everywhere.

However, many interesting things that you may program are helped by various third-party or platform-specific libraries. For instance, if you want to do any lower-level work, you may use glibc, which is a UNIX-specific library for working more directly with the system. Graphics libraries as well tend to be rather more specialized. It depends on the library; even some libraries will be cross-platform.

As for a good environment, many of us enjoy the simplicity of a terminal, a good editor like vi or Emacs, and gcc. If you want something a bit more graphical to get you started, there is a class of programs called IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) that may be a bit more familiar to you. Some popular ones are:

Anjuta - Anjuta Integrated Development Environment
    KDevelop - http://www.kdevelop.org/
    Eclipse - Eclipse.org home

Eclipse is extremely popular for Java programming, but also has C++ plugins available.

All three of these websites have lots of documentation to get you started on learning how to use them, so you can look at those.

And remember: play! Go and find your own IDEs if you want. Learn to use vi or Emacs, and become a master of the terminal. Develop your own plugins and macros. You can do pretty much anything you want with the tools that you have, so don't be afraid.

Best of luck, and we're always here to help you out with programming or Linux in general. I look forward to seeing you around.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you are going to do any graphics programming, get the Qt graphics suite. It is a very good cross-platform C++ library that will let you develop code on Linux and compile/run it on Windows, assuming you install the Windows version of the library there as well. FWIW, Qt is the underlying graphics library used for KDE.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Not a direct response to your question, but here is a Wiki on using Kate, a common Linux text editor, for programming and compiling and executing C/C++

Compile C CPP and Java programs using Kate - GLUG-BOM