Find the answer to your Linux question:
I work in a library and want to set up several newer PCs. I cloned a HD containing Ubuntu 9.10 using Clonezilla. When I put the HD in another computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clonezilla- Cloned HD will not boot

I work in a library and want to set up several newer PCs. I cloned a HD containing Ubuntu 9.10 using Clonezilla. When I put the HD in another computer (exactly the same as the one on which I did the cloning) it will not boot.

After pressing the power button, it proceeds as follows:

BIOS loads
    "Grub Loading" appears on screen for several seconds
    Ubuntu icon appears for several seconds
    Icon disappears and then nothing, blank screen

Regarding Clonezilla, I used the advanced screens but chose only the default settings.

Also, if I boot to the Clonezilla CD on the cloned computer, I can choose the HD and the OS loads without a problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Linux Guru
    The computer you cloned from and the computer you clone to have the same hardware??

The computer you cloned from and the computer you clone to had only Ubuntu? on one partition??

Ubuntu 9.10 uses Grub2 and I'm not familiar with it. Do you have UUID numbers in the grub.cfg file? or does it use root=sda?

It might be a problem with different UUIDs. Use "vol_id --uuid /dev/sda? to compare with UUID in grub.cfg if they are used.

Just Joined!
    The Computers are all identical. The hard drives (there are 11 computers total) are not all identical. They are 40 GB, with one 80 GB exception, but of several manufacturers.

The source computer only had Ubuntu 9.10 loaded. There are three partitions, Linux (ext4), extended, and Linux-swap.

There are UUIDs in grub.cfg. I checked the UUID of the HD using blkid. The UUID matched what is in grub.cfg.

-BTW vol_id was not recognized

Linux Guru
    The computer you cloned TO also just the cloned Ubuntu partitions? Did you use the disk to disk option including mbr? Save as an image and restore image? The drives you are cloning TO, new drives? previously used? what was on them before?

Just Joined!
    I cloned it using device-to-device and the expert settings. The drives were in the same computer. I tried cloning both with and without including the MBR. The drive I cloned to only has Ubuntu.

I believe all the drives are new. This is my first year at this school so I cannot confirm that. Some of the drives had Windows XP loaded

Linux Guru
    disk to disk with mbr should work. If you checked the UUIDs on the computer you cloned to and they are the same as the grub.cfg file, I'm not sure what the problems could be. Perhaps Grub didn't install properly and you might try reinstalling Grub. I've not used the Grub2 on Ubuntu 9.10 as I beleive it is still beta but there are some good tutorials on reinstalling Grub2

Just Joined!
    First of all, thank you for your attention thus far to this thread.

Is it possible that the Grub2 boot loader is incompatible with the computer? I ask because I've been reloading the OS onto each individual computer. On some, Ubuntu boots fine, on others, the same as with the cloned drives.

The computers are Dell, Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM.

Is downgrading Grub2 to Grub relatively easy?