Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm quite new at compiling, and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in figuring out how to fix a prob involving the installation of xmms-mad-0.5.1.tar.gz. (I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS MAD plugin compiling help

Hi. I'm quite new at compiling, and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in figuring out how to fix a prob involving the installation of xmms-mad-0.5.1.tar.gz. (I heard that the MAD plugin of XMMS does wonders compared to the stock mp3 codec rpm, though feel free to advise me otherwise). When attempting to configure it (./configure), I basically get a long process wherein I can identify two major errors.

First apparent error:
    checking for xmms-config... no
    checking for XMMS - version >= 1.2.4... no (my version is 1.2.7 but I guess this doesn't really matter)
    *** The xmms-config script installed by XMMS could not be found.
    *** If XMMS was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or set the XMMS_CONFIG environment variable to the
    *** full path to xmms-config.
    Doing a whereis for XMMS, I got the response:
    xmms: /usr/bin/xmms /usr/lib/xmms /usr/share/xmms /usr/share/man/man1/xmms.1.gz

I suppose the configurator wants to overwrite XMMS' config script to make it use the MAD plugin that's about to be installed. I'm not quite sure where I can locate XMMS' config script, but if I do, can I solve this by adding a path line to .bashrc?

Second apparent error:
    checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
    checking for gtk+... yes
    checking GTK_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
    checking GTK_LIBS... -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lglib
    checking for id3tag... Package id3tag was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `id3tag.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'id3tag' found

configure: error: Library requirements (id3tag) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

I performed a whereis for id3tag.pc and got the response:
    id3tag: /usr/include/id3tag.h

My difficulty in this section is, how do I add /usr/include/id3tag.h to the "PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable" (I don't know what or where I can find this).

That's about all that looks alarmingly unclean with the ./config process. I'm running an almost complete standard installation of Red Hat 9.

Linux Guru
    The configurator doesn't want to overwrite anything. xmms-config is the script that gives the compilation process information on where to find the XMMS files that are necessary to compile XMMS modules. It is shipped as part of the xmms-devel package. Do you have that installed?

The second error is similar, but it differs at some points. There is a program called pkg-config, that is a configuration script similar to xmms-config, only that different packages all use it instead of having a configuration script of its own. Instead they install .pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig, and the pkg-config program is used to retrieve information on any of them.
    The id3tag.pc file belongs to the libmad-devel package, but for some reason it doesn't appear to come with it. Get it here instead: http://sigunix.cwru.edu/pub/gentoo/r...iles/id3tag.pc
    You will also need the libmad-devel package if you don't already have it, though.

Just Joined!
    Well, my installation is stock Red Hat 9. I'm not quite sure if xmms-devel came with it. I'll look for this package.

I'll try the link when I get home. Thanks Dolda.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I was able to get the xmms-mad plug in to install properly. It also needed mad.pc, which was available in the same folder of the link you gave me.

However,

even though there was some feasible improvement with some mp3s, XMMS would shut down upon opening about 15% of the mp3s in my collection.

So, I did a "make clean", hoping that it would reverse its own installation.

That didn't quite help. Now, about 50% of my mp3s crash XMMS upon opening. Can I reverse the installation / edit the XMMS config file myself? (i opened /usr/include/xmms but didn't quite understand the files there)

This experience is starting to seem very ridiculous to me. I hope I don't cry later on.

Finally, when do you stop at "make", and not "make install"? Some programs don't seem to have the "make install" process in their readme.

Just Joined!
    Uhh....apparently there's no difference with the number of MP3s that causes XMMS to crash after all.

I just had an unlucky streak of selecting mp3s that weren't compatible.

It may have something to do with bad ID3 tags. When I choose "view file info" to access the tags, xmms crashes too.

I take it then that my "make clean" didn't do anything?

*sigh*

Just Joined!
    Ok........I feel so silly for not knowing that you could disable/enable plug ins in XMMS via the preference tab. I was thinking all along that there was a configuration text file somewhere that I should mess with.

Anyway, at one point, XMMS wouldn't run. It briefly complained that it couldn't find something about "esource", and successive running of the executable would cause nothing to happen, in spite of repeated log outs and log ins.

Then I remembered what you said about that file-sharing error that happens with RPMs (Ymessenger thread).

So once again, I did the most obvious thing a Windows-adapted user would do. I rebooted. Well what do you know. XMMS runs fine again. After disabling the MAD plugin and reverting to MPG123, I determined that it's quite strict and "choosy" with the kinds of files you make it read.

Whew. I almost thought I would have had to say goodbye to XMMS for good.

Linux Guru
    OK... lot's of stuff here.
    "make clean" does not uninstall stuff, so that was quite correct. make clean just cleans up the source tree (ie. removes intermediate files and so). Some packages come with a "make uninstall" option, on the other hand. You might have wanted to try that instead.
    I don't think that there are any packages where you shouldn't run "make install" to install. Probably they just left it out of the README.
    Too bad MAD didn't work for you. But what is it, really?

Just Joined!
    MAD is a plugin that supposedly handles many Mp3s better than the ordinary mpeg123 codec. If you used Winamp 2.xx for Windows before and downloaded the "MAD Winamp" plugin, you would have definitely heard the difference between Nullsoft's plugin and MAD.

In XMMS' case, I can enable MAD, but it can be somewhat selective with some mp3s. The result isn't quite noticeable unless you are really an aficionado,or a very demanding critic, just like the forum people at http://cd-rw.org
    A day reading the threads in their forums can give any sound newbie a headache.

Apparently, this just goes to show how good the stock mpg123 codec already is. With Linux, there's apparently not much of an improvement when using MAD.