Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Linux and X Windows world. I have installed redhat linux 9.0 and installed X Windows also. Initally i got some error when i was doing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting Xterm when starting X Windows

Hi,

I am new to Linux and X Windows world.

I have installed redhat linux 9.0 and installed X Windows also.

Initally i got some error when i was doing startx at the command prompt, it was not recoginizing some configuration. I reconfigured it using
    redhat-config-xfree86

Then it got well set.
    Then when i typed the command startx at the command prompt, it starts xterm, i was expecting it will start X Windows i..e GUI like windows with Redhad cap on the extreme left.

Can someone please inform me how to sort this problem.

Thanks in the anticipation that I will get some hint.

Cheers

well do you have either gnome or kde or some other window manager installed?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. How do i know this whether i have other things installed or not.

I am new to linux and was doing normal installation and to be very true i don't remember which all options i had selected when i was installing.

I would be grateful if you please inform me how to get those in case i have not installed. If these are installed please inform me how to find these files in the system from the command prompt or from some directories.

Thanks!

okay
    once you have X running, then go into xterm and issue:
    Code:
    kdeinit
    if that works, then you have kde correctly installed.
    or you can do:
    Code:
    gnome-session
    and if that works, then you have gnome installed as well.
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for replying and answering my queries. Highly appreciated.

Well I tried to issue the following command in the Xterm (X Terminal) to see whether do i have KDE or GNOME installed:

kdeinit
    gnome-session

Both of the above commands failed.

Then i tried
    switchdesk GNOME
    switchdesk KDE

These command failed too informing GNOME is not installed (KDE is not installed)

I am sorry if I am asking very trivial questions but i have installed linux for the first time and don't remember what i have chosen during installation time.

What shall i do now, re-install everything ? or there is some by which i can get XWindows instead for Xterm when i do start. Or is there a way by which i can get KDE and GNOME installable which will merge with the existing OS.

Secondly, when i have restarted my machine again, it was not able to recognize the OS, but when installing i have created floopy boot disc , so when i used that it went well. What should i do to avoid this.

Thanks for your replies. I hope you guys will help me to sort out these problems.

Regards,
    Dipesh