Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anyone know about any auto recording software. I want to be able to start talking and my computer start recording me. If would help with taking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Audio Recorder

I was wondering if anyone know about any auto recording software. I want to be able to start talking and my computer start recording me. If would help with taking notes.

Audacity has "Sound activated recording" since version 1.3.6.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Yes, Audacity is a great program, I use it a lot, and it is free open source software. But it is a full feature audio editing program, and IMHO it might be overkill for your purpose. It probably has far more features than you need.

If you will be recording a lot of notes, and you need to keep them organized, I would look for some kind of personal productivity or knowledge base software that has audio functionality built in. I don't know of such a program off the top of my head, but I will keep my eyes open.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicx059 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone know about any auto recording software. I want to be able to start talking and my computer start recording me. If would help with taking notes.
    ok, I took a second look at your post, and you want to be able to start recording without clicking the record button, just have the recording process started by the sound of your voice?

Then you need some kind of voice recognition software i would say. You might find some answers here...

CMU Sphinx - Speech Recognition Toolkit

Sphinx might be a bit overkill for that. It is also only a framework. You would have to write a corresponding application first.
    It's a bit sophisticated too. You would capture the sound, the program analyses it in order to convert sound patterns to characters/words. Then you drop the result of the analysis and reroute the sound itself. What a waste of computing time

Why not merely start the recording when the noise is over a certain threshold?
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    Sphinx might be a bit overkill for that. It is also only a framework. You would have to write a corresponding application first.
    It's a bit sophisticated too. You would capture the sound, the program analyses it in order to convert sound patterns to characters/words. Then you drop the result of the analysis and reroute the sound itself. What a waste of computing time

Why not merely start the recording when the noise is over a certain threshold?
    OK, I just assumed some kind of voice recognition was required, and I picked an open source project. I didn't know about the threshold activation of audacity, but yeah that would do it.

Saving and catologing all your notes is a different story though. But if you don't mind going through all your stuff later, then it sounds like Audacity does indeed function quite well as a computerized audio dictation machine.

Hi. I just wanted to add that now that you have a good program to record and edit your voice clips (Audacity), if you need to save and catolog them, consider using iTunes.

p.s. maybe I didn't do my homework. I confess I am not at all sure iTunes works with Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by fguy64 View Post
    Hi. I just wanted to add that now that you have a good program to record and edit your voice clips (Audacity), if you need to save and catolog them, consider using iTunes.

p.s. maybe I didn't do my homework. I confess I am not at all sure iTunes works with Linux.
    LOL, forget ITunes. I should be able to script something that can catalog the files for me. I need to find out if Audacity will be able to run on Windows XP for my girlfriends netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicx059 View Post
    LOL, forget ITunes. I should be able to script something that can catalog the files for me. I need to find out if Audacity will be able to run on Windows XP for my girlfriends netbook.
    Audacity runs fine on my XP notebook, but it's not exactly a lightweight application.

What's Itunes but a searchable, indexable, sortable catolog of audio files? But hey, it sounds like you know what you are doing, so if you can script something better, then go for it.

Scripting something is the plan. Thanks for the input. I will use audacity on the netbook, mainly for security. Although I will play with sphinx.