Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By devils casper
Is there any powerful PDF editing software like Acrobat Professional for Windows in Linux. I would like to merge, split, annotate, comment, make markups in the PDF files i use...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acrobat Equivalent for Linux

Is there any powerful PDF editing software like Acrobat Professional for Windows in Linux. I would like to merge, split, annotate, comment, make markups in the PDF files i use

Try Pdfedit, scribus or flpsed. I don't know about other distros but these are available in Ubuntu and Debian sources.
    Jean-VictorC likes this.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't produce a Linux version of Acrobat, other than the reader. However, I am able to use Adobe's Framemaker windows version under Wine and it produces pdf's with links and such, so it may be possible to use Acrobat standard or pro under Wine as well. Don't know - haven't tried it, but you might check on the Wine web site to see what they say.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by prasanna_linux View Post
    Is there any powerful PDF editing software like Acrobat Professional for Windows in Linux. I would like to merge, split, annotate, comment, make markups in the PDF files i use
    Welcome to the forums!

You should also be able to use OpenOffice to edit and manipulate pdf files if you have it installed and you install the pdf import extension:

Sun PDF Import Extension | OpenOffice.org repository for Extensions
    oz

Just Joined!
    How do i install the pdf extensions i have downloaded them from the site

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by prasanna_linux View Post
    How do i install the pdf extensions i have downloaded them from the site
    Check this HowTo on the OpenOffice website for instructions on installing extensions:

About Installing Extensions | OpenOffice.org repository for Extensions
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't produce a Linux version of Acrobat, other than the reader. However, I am able to use Adobe's Framemaker windows version under Wine and it produces pdf's with links and such, so it may be possible to use Acrobat standard or pro under Wine as well. Don't know - haven't tried it, but you might check on the Wine web site to see what they say.
    I sure wish they would though. I love Linux but I do miss Acrobat. I use it everyday on my laptop to scan files to .pdf and edit where necessary. Combine many pages into one file to email.
    If they every make a program for Linux I won't even hesitate to get it.

So if anyone knows of a program that will do all that in one. Currently I use gscan2pdf to scan and pdf editor to modify.. what a pain in the arse.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, my CentOS 5 system does that when I chose Print To File as PDF. Then, Acroread will let me access the links, popping them up in my browser. I just tested that to confirm.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!