Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Can anyone help, My family have three Linux operated ACER ONE netbooks, all of them need the new Firefox 3.6 download as the old format wont be supported supposedly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Help with browser download

Hi
    Can anyone help, My family have three Linux operated ACER ONE netbooks, all of them need the new Firefox 3.6 download as the old format wont be supported supposedly by youtube etc. I have downloaded the SOFTWARE but cant get it to run, the Firefox explanation mentions lots of files etc that are cant access, nor can I excecute any files once they have been extracted. The same happens with any software but Iv ignored it till now, not having a "modern" browser will make things difficult. I need it explaining simply. On another subject can anyone use facebook chat on Linux

Help please new to site!

Hello and Welcome!

What distro is on your netbooks?
    And what version of FF are you using anyway?
    I've heard nothing about Youtube dropping compatibility for anything.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

All the books are using Firefox 2 or there abouts, Youtube when you log on advises this will not be supported in the next few weeks, 3.6 is downloadable but the instrutions are a nonsense to get it to operated, Ive tried to download a number of programs before, you can extract them but cant use them. As for the acer one operating system all updates are apparently upto date using the Live update, but im not sure what version it is, all the pcs are less than a year old so i would assume they would be as upto date as they can be in that time frame. Loved Linux at first as it was quick etc told everyone, however the download issue and the faebook chat issue have lost me friends, and Im beginning to get really cheesed off with Linux, there help questions website is Sh***. Any advice and help would be nice.
    Alex

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To find the version of Linux, open up Terminal and execute:
    Code:
    cat /etc/*-release
    Should tell you what you have.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    To find the version of Linux, open up Terminal and execute:
    Code:
    cat /etc/*-release
    Should tell you what you have.
    I would wager the poster is using the default distro for the Aspire One, Linpus Lite.

There are some challenges installing new software releases on the Aspire One, not the least of the problem being that Linpus Lite is based on the now quite old Fedora 8. The ideal thing if you're feeling adventurous is to install a different distro, such as Ubuntu.

Barring that, here are instructions for Firefox 3.

It looks like you are using very old version and there could be dependency problems for new version of Firefox. Why don't you upgrade Firefox through default Package Manager?

Extract FireFox 3.6. It will create firefox folder. Open folder and look for firefox script in it. Double click on it. In case new version of firefox doesn't pop up, navigate to firefox folder in Terminal and execute firefox script. Post error message here.
    Code:
    cd <path_to_extracted_firefox_folder>
    ./firefox
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First