Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have installed Linux Mandriva 2010 for the first time , and i face a lot of problems as the drivers for sound and video and internet , althought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help me ?? in solving these troubles ????

hi
    i have installed Linux Mandriva 2010 for the first time ,
    and i face a lot of problems as the drivers for sound and video
    and internet , althought i have sound but id does nor work with all movies and flashes . and video it seems ok but needs better driver \
    and the net does not work ?????

my pc SPECIFICATIONS:
    1- CPU=intel core 2 duo quad 2.4
    cache = 8MB
    Ram=3 GB
    HDD= 1.5 Tb
    PCI-e = Ge force 9800 GT
    MB = Gigabyte (( EP45-UD3P ))

does Microsoft office programs work and can be installed on Mandriva 2010 such as office 2007, PowerPoint , ......

and what about the other programs such as ,
    photoshop, premiere CS 4, Canopus edius 5, realplayer,..................... etc .

I usually recommend that you don't use Mandriva, because I've had problems with it in the past. For a very first distro, you might be better off using a distro like Ubuntu, which is very user-friendly, and which has very good hardware detection:
    Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

As for your second question, you cannot run Windows programs on Linux. For Office, we use a software suite called Openoffice.org:
    OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

For other programs, you can use this alternatives table:
    The Linux Alternative Project - linuxalt.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    To run Windows programs, there are two approaches. One is to run them with Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator -Wine). Not all programs will work with that, though many do. I run PhotoShop 7 and CS2, and I understand that some versions of MS Office will run that way. The other approach is to actually run Windows in a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox, VMware, Xen, KVM, Qemu, etc. I use VirtualBox (from Sun/Oracle - free versions are available) for Windows programs that won't run under Wine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close