Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, Running Mandrake 8.1. I boot to the command prompt. There is a program that I run off of a UNIX host for my company from this Linux box. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VNC Problem

Hey all,
    Running Mandrake 8.1. I boot to the command prompt.
    There is a program that I run off of a UNIX host for my company from this Linux box. In order to run this, I type:

$$ X -query UnixServer -depth 8

This will bring up an X session with a graphical login to the server.
    Now, if I want to be able to see this from a windows program, i need to use VNC viewer. In the HOME/.vnc/xstartup file, I put the exact command as above. Then I start the VNC server:

$$ vncserver :x -depth 8

This immediately brings up the graphical login...which is good. But when I run VNC viewer from windows using LinuxHost and put in the password, it only shows me the gray background with an X cursor. I don't see that nice graphical login. I want to be able to see the graphical login to the UNIX server from the windows computer.

Once again it looks like this:

Unix (with 3 Xsessions) ----- Linux (uses one of the sessions) ---- Windows (VNC into the Linux box in order to see the program running on UNIX)

Help

Linux Guru
    I believe you have to edit the fileHOME/.vnc/xstartup to include KDE or Gnome. The default is the grey screen you're refering to.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I don't want it to boot into KDE or Gnome. I just want it to fire up X. You can't run KDE and X at the same time. This program that I am running from the server is started once X has started.

so my $HOME/.vnc/xstartup file says

#!/bin/whatever.l.

X -query UNIX-HOST -depth 8

That is what should start when VNC starts....NOT KDE or GNOME

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    When you vnc into the Linux box, you're using the vncserver on linux - not UNIX, hence what you're seeing is correct. You've told the Linux vnc server to display a blank screen (x). You'll either need to tunnel directly into the UNIX box from Windows or tunnel into Linux, then into UNIX. You can also ssh into Linux, then vnc into UNIX, but I'm not sure that would work the way you want it to.

I'm not sure if you can tell the Linux vncserver to display the output of the linux vncveiwer (that is connected to the UNIX vncserver). You may be able to, but I don't know how.

Hope that makes sense.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure if you can tell the Linux vncserver to display the output of the linux vncveiwer (that is connected to the UNIX vncserver). You may be able to, but I don't know how.
    That's EXACTLY what I want to do!!
    If anyone knows how to do this help..
    thanks jeremy