Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by techieMoe I agree with most of your statements but I must take issue with this one. First of all, C# was created by Microsoft but it doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I agree with most of your statements but I must take issue with this one. First of all, C# was created by Microsoft but it doesn't just run in MS Windows. Due largely to two major developments (Microsoft making C# an ECMA standard and the development of the OSS Mono] framework as a drop-in replacement for .NET) you can develop and run C# programs in Linux. I'm taking a workshop on it as we speak, as a matter of fact.
    Interesting, I will need to look into that.

For all your talk about being open-minded, your definition of a "coding language" is awfully strict. Does python or perl not count as a "coding" language simply because they use an interpreter? Do you consider C and C++ the only true "coding languages"?
    There may be some differences between the computer science terminology and the game programming terminology, but when we use it in computer science, a coding language is a language that is compiled into machine code that can be directly read by the processor. C++ is compiled into Assembly, which is then made into machine code.

Scripting languages are languages either interpreted or compiled and then interpreted. I am not familiar with Perl, but Python would fit in this category, along with C# and Obj-C.

C# was not developed from a "hacked version of Java." I believe you're mistaking it for J#. It does share a lot of the same syntax as Java, as well as the same kind of virtual bytecode interpreter, but it's far from a "hacked scripting language."
    The language itself is based off of C++, but the VM that it runs through is an edited version of the Java VM.

I've not run into any significant performance issues using C# in Microsoft Windows or Linux. For desktop applications (and especially considering the relative speed and available memory of modern desktop machines) C# is just as viable a language as C or C++. If you want to write a command-line tool that deals with Linux internals or schedules a cron job then it's obviously not the ideal language, sure. However that doesn't mean it's never the right choice.
    Ohh no! I never said it's not the right choice, but games are played in realtime, and the game engine itself must be written in a coding language if you are going to make a game with high performance.

The reason I originally suggested they steer clear of C# for this project was simply because C# is a very new kid on the Linux block, and the Mono project hasn't 100% implemented all the functionality that would be necessary for a cross-platform game engine. The code they would need to draw even two-dimensional graphics would be platform-specific and thus not port well between Linux and Windows. It has nothing to do with inherent deficiencies of the language.
    I did some research on how game engines work, and I think I have been misleading you.

Most game engines use a scripting layer, which is what links things together. TORQUE uses TorqueScript, but the game engine itself is made in C++.

Basically, an ideal game engine would be written in a coding language, but then linked together using a scripting language.

Quote Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post
    There may be some differences between the computer science terminology and the game programming terminology, but when we use it in computer science, a coding language is a language that is compiled into machine code that can be directly read by the processor. C++ is compiled into Assembly, which is then made into machine code.

Scripting languages are languages either interpreted or compiled and then interpreted. I am not familiar with Perl, but Python would fit in this category, along with C# and Obj-C.
    Well, I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I write criminal justice software in Java for a living. This is the first time I've ever heard that particular separation of programming languages. Perhaps the CS curriculum has changed in recent years.

Everything mentioned above can be considered a "programming language;" whether you want to further subdivide them into "scripting" and "coding" is up to you. I just find that dichotomy confusing and unnecessary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2