Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did a google search and found pendrivelinux.com/pendrivelinux-2008-install-from-windows/ If I install linux on a new 16GB SD chip that just arrived, can I use the above link and install bootable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Oracle and other apps on Pendrive Linux?

I did a google search and found pendrivelinux.com/pendrivelinux-2008-install-from-windows/

If I install linux on a new 16GB SD chip that just arrived, can I use the above link and install bootable linux on it?

Can I then install the famouse oracle database server and java and eclipse once like it was a harddrive?

Apparently I have to use the "JauntePE Make Portable Apps" to modify existing applications. Hmmm.... Is there an easier way?

Are there alternatives to pendrive linux? Do you like them?

Thanks,
    Siegfried

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by siegfried_heintze View Post
    I did a google search and found pendrivelinux.com/pendrivelinux-2008-install-from-windows/

If I install linux on a new 16GB SD chip that just arrived, can I use the above link and install bootable linux on it?

Can I then install the famouse oracle database server and java and eclipse once like it was a harddrive?

Apparently I have to use the "JauntePE Make Portable Apps" to modify existing applications. Hmmm.... Is there an easier way?

Are there alternatives to pendrive linux? Do you like them?

Thanks,
    Siegfried
    Most of the "install to pendrive" instructions place a "liveCD" onto the flash drive. The normal install for distributions can and will install on a flash drive (I would say that 16GB should be the smallest size (although I have managed to put Fedora 10 on an 8GB flash drive, it could not do the pop-up updates present feature as the "/tmp" was too small for it. Since this is a normal type install, installing softwate installs it on the flash drive (as if it were a hard drive). I have a bootable flash drive that I wished to be able to move to any computer (one 32-bit Fedora 11 and another 64-bit gentoo live which only needs a little more space than the size of the liveCD as a vfat partition and the second partion is ext4 for th e remainder of the flash drive) I use the second partition to hold packages (gvim, xterm, etc) that I use alot that are not present in the liveCD and to hold other comments, documents, etc that I desire to have availiable. Then after booting, I can install the extra packages without having to download them.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Then after booting, I can install the extra packages without having to download them.
    Do you have to reinstall them after every boot that you want to use them?

there are ways to create bootable USB linux installs that are persistent after reboots and installing packages and would behave just like a normal installation

just be sure that you can actually install oracle on the distro you are choosing, they only officially support a few of them, you can maybe get away with installing it on some unsupported ones by ignoring sys prereqs, but YMMV