Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
#1) # pwd /var/log/qmail # ls -la total 17 drwxr-xr-x 3 qmaill root 144 May 22 12:01 . drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 816 May 24 10:04 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 qmaill ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

#1)

# pwd
    /var/log/qmail

# ls -la
    total 17
    drwxr-xr-x 3 qmaill root 144 May 22 12:01 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 816 May 24 10:04 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 qmaill nofiles 14286 May 24 10:04 current
    -rw------- 1 qmaill nofiles 0 May 22 12:01 lock
    drwxr-xr-x 2 qmaill root 264 May 23 10:07 smtpd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 qmaill nofiles 0 May 22 12:01 state

I believe the logs are not "enabled"....is this the case? How would I enable them?

#2 Where so I set this "queuelifetime"? In which file?

#3 I'm sending to yahoo in my second try so I could see one go internally and one going externally.

Just Joined!

I had a similar problem -- you might look at this!

I use Exim -- and I am NUTS about it!!

You may want to try it.

But, I couldn't get messages to deliver and I discovered that the problem was with my /etc/aliases file.

Now, the aliases file is what directs mail to people who might otherwise not be known.

For example, you probably don't have a user on your system named "abuse" Yet, you will get mail addressed to abuse@yourdomain

The MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) has to know what to do with that. So, it looks in the /etc/aliases file (by default, because that is where sendmail wants it) and finds an entry

abuse: root

So, it redirects that message to the root's mailbox.

(I'm getting to the point, so bear with me!)

When you modify the /etc/aliases file to add you own aliases, you are instructed to run a program called newaliases. What it does is to generate a file called /etc/aliases.db -- a database file. That would suggest (and make you think that the database file was what programs would want to look at for your aliases.

However, Exim, and perhaps your MTA as well, doesn't read the database! It reads the /etc/aliases file -- to which it does NOT have rights!!

So, I had to chmod 0644 /etc/aliases which gave "read" (4) permissions to other users and groups while restricting "read-write" (6) permission to the root user.

You might try that -- it really won't hurt anything and if it doesn't work, and you want to put it back, just chmod 0600 /etc/aliases and you'll be back where you are (probably) now.

You DO WANT to look at your messages -- particularly your "rejectlog" and your "paniclog"

This varies with DISTRO and with your MTA, but start out by doing (as root) a

cd /var/spool

then do an ls and see if your MTA has a directory

for example, my messages are in

/var/spool/exim/log

and if you use pico or joe or vim to look at your rejectlog, you may be surprised at the amount of info available to you.

Then, you have to ask what the error message means and let someone embarrass you by pointing out that it "means what it says"

In my case, I THOUGHT Exim was looking at the /etc/aliases.db file and could NOT understand why "access denied"

Someone kindly pointed out to me that if access was being denied to aliases.db, the message would SAY aliases.db -- it SAID ALIASES because THAT was what it MEANT!!!

I quickly overcame my embarrassment, did a chmod 0644 /etc/aliases and -- GUESS WHAT!

It worked!

Just a consideration.

Good luck,
    Chuck Moore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2