Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
First of all the situation I am in. I have a home/office network and server currnetly running windoze, but have just install RH 9.0. I also have my own mail ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail Application-which one is best(I know it is personnel)

First of all the situation I am in.

I have a home/office network and server currnetly running windoze, but have just install RH 9.0. I also have my own mail and web server running. There are less than 10 users so nothing is too complicated.

What I want to know is what is the best/easist mail system to use. We do nothing complicated.

I know of sendmail, exim, postfix and qmail to name a few but which would be the best. I have already been warned off sendmail.

Any comments would be helpful

Regards

Linux Guru
    For simple applications, there is nothing wrong with any of them. There's nothing wrong with sendmail, either, except that it's a little hard to configure. I'd say that it doesn't really matter in this situation.

Linux User
    what about qmail + SquirrelMail ?

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Sendmail is a dog, I briefly had a look at it and the configuration is *way* to complicated and It has a terrible track record in security/bugs.
    I installed qmail and it is nice and easy to configure and has never had any security problems.

Just Joined!

All have security holes

:o Both qmail and sendmail have plenty of security holes. As for the best one, it depends on how much time you want to spend. If you want something that is highly configurable and adaptable then choose sendmail. It has a larger community and any security problems that do arise with it are generally resolved quickly. If you want something that is simple to install and "canned" then qmail would be your choice.

Regards.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, qmail has had _some_ security problems but that is a drop in the ocean compared to sendmail. Check out sans and securityfocus and you will see that qmail has a brilliant track record.

/edit:spelling.

Just Joined!
    But also you have to take into consideration the sendmail installations vs. qmail installations. Also the "expandability" of the source code for sendmail is easier since there are quite a few recources for related to the code itself. I am sure that once qmail has been around as long as sendmail it will have as hefty a ChangeLog and ToDo as does sendmail. Who knows it could be the wave of the "Open Source Future".

Linux Newbie
    I dont know if qmail will ever reach the status that sendmail is at,
    Qmail has a very restrictive license and updates seem few and far between.
    I dont think there is an active developement team for qmail (someone let me know if I am wrong ).

If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail (including ports, no matter how minor the changes are) you'll have to get my approval. This does not mean approval of your distribution method, your intentions, your e-mail address, your haircut, or any other irrelevant information. It means a detailed review of the exact package that you want to distribute.

Just Joined!
    Hello....I have followed your thread and as for the initial question I cannot say which is better, BUT I have tried to get the qmail installation up and running which was more or less painless and now I am kind of stuck at his point....and hoping some of you might know the answer to this one...

I have tried to test qmail two different ways:

#1 echo to: this_local_user | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

#2 echo to: <xuserx>@yahoo.com | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

And then I check....

# qmailctl stat
    /service/qmail-send: up (pid 13441) 110 seconds
    /service/qmail-send/log: up (pid 13443) 110 seconds
    /service/qmail-smtpd: up (pid 13446) 110 seconds
    /service/qmail-smtpd/log: up (pid 13451) 110 seconds
    messages in queue: 2
    messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

But they are stuck in that queue and I'm not getting the email.....?!

Would any of you know why?

Linux Newbie
    Have you looked in the qmail log files for any details on the problem ?
    Try setting your queuelifetime to a low number so that it will create an error faster.
    I think the default is two days.

Why are you sending to a yahoo domain or are you just using that as an example ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast