Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey folks. We have a lpr server for printing (not CUPS for compatibility with complicated domain/systems). We configured our linux systems -- RHEL4, RHEL5, and Ubuntu 10.04 -- so that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox 3+ doesn't queue lpr print jobs until after quit on RHEL5/Ubuntu10.04

Hey folks. We have a lpr server for printing (not CUPS for compatibility with complicated domain/systems). We configured our linux systems -- RHEL4, RHEL5, and Ubuntu 10.04 -- so that lpr is one of the gtk print possiblities by adding 'gtk-print-backends = "lpr,pdf,file"' to gtkrc. This works great for several gtk-enabled applications like Acrobat Reader (acroread).

However, Firefox 3+ (tested 3.6.3 & 3.0.19) doesn't actually queue any lpr jobs until after quitting the application. Any thoughts?

-pjk

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've generally had zero luck with getting Firefox (any version) to work with Linux printing systems. I use CUPS and everything but the fox works great. Firefox however puts the output in the print queue but it errors every time. So, I have to print to a PDF file and then print that from Acroread. Very frustrating! I think that a LOT of us need to rattle mozilla.org's bug pages to get this fixed. It is a real PITA.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!